Which is the best deshedding tool for dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Jack Watson, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Jack Watson

Jack Watson PetForums Newbie

2. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Never used it. FURminator has been the best in my experience.

3. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

I haven't specifically tried this deshedding tool, but I've tried a couple of very similar ones. (I have a small long-haired dog who sheds everywhere ;) )

These type of deshedding tools are best used on short haired dogs, unless it specifically says "long haired deshedder" on the tool. Basic deshedding tools work well on Labs, GSD, Jack Russells...but anything with a long coat, they won't have an impact on.

Assuming you keep your Shih Tzu with a fairly long coat, this tool probably won't be any better than just giving her a good brush. Also because it's not a long haired deshedder, the blade will be fairly short, meaning you'll have to press quite firmly for it to have any impact - your dog may not enjoy this.

4. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

I wouldn't say that tool is suitable for a shih tzu. You would be much better using a very fine comb. Contact Diamond Edge and ask which one of the Spratts combs are meant for the shih tzu. I know the 76 is the favourite for cockers.

5. Westy

Westy PetForums Senior

6. LabradorLover123

LabradorLover123 PetForums Newbie

I want to hear honest review too :)

7. Annelle Everline

Annelle Everline PetForums Newbie

8. sam buchanan

sam buchanan PetForums Junior

Don't use a deshedder on your Shit tzu. They are for double coated dogs. All you need is a good soft slicker. It will pull through the coat and catch all the shed hair in its pins so it doesn't fly all around the room. Used regularly it will also keep your dog mat free, you can test whether they are mats by running a comb through the section of coat you have just slickered. Simpsons do good quality slicker brushes xx