Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which Harness?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by bagpuss4, Apr 13, 2011.

1. bagpuss4

bagpuss4 PetForums Member

I am looking to buy a harness for Baxter. He's fine, works nice sometimes and others i just about get my shoulders dislocated with his pulling, hes getting so strong think i,m going to land on my face. I,ve tried just standing still so we're not going anywhere, treats but he jusst reverts back to his old ways.

I,m thinking a harness will give me better control Baxter is a 6 month old lab pup can anyone recommend a good harness?

2. sonia123

sonia123 PetForums Member

hi i have a boxer cross husky and he,s a very strong dog to walk and i used to have a halti harness for him but found that it was ok for his pulling but was a nightmare for my dog because he kept on trying to get it of his nose with his front paws so i read up on the internet about the canny collar so i bought one and its excellent it stops him from pulling but also its more comfortable for him cos he does,nt try to get it off so maybe one of these would be good for you:D

3. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Traditional harnesses with the clip on the back often encourage pulling, as there's more surface area for the dog to pull against. However, I do like to use them on dogs that are nearly choking themselves on a flat collar, just during lead training until the harness isn't needed anymore.

Have you seen the front clip harnesses? The clips is on the chest, so, in theory, when the dog pulls, he gets pulled round to you. Thus, in order to keep going forward, he learns to walk nicely.

4. bagpuss4

was also recommened a gun lead - i take it the idea is the it chokes if they pull like a choke chain but with a rope?

5. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Stay away from it- and choke chains, and prong collars. There are much better ways we can teach dogs to walk nicely without using force or intimidation or pain or discomfort. Why would you want to choke your dog, one of your best friends?:confused:

Practise lead walking exercises with him at home and when on walks. Be consistent. It may take time and some very slow walks, but it's a behaviour that, if taught, will make life with your dog so much nicer.

6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We have a halti harness and a fleece harness, both with front rings. I prefer the fleece one as it moulds to my pupsters body better, so more control to me :D

7. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Are you asking about a head harness or a body harness?

I have tried several body harnesses but because Mia is deep chested they don't fit her very well and the straps are too close to the back of her front legs.
    I am waiting for the one that Turid Rugaas swore by as being really comfortable and great at stopping pulling. I have contacted the manufacturer in Italy and they have emailed me to say that they should be available in the UK within 2 weeks. I can let you know if you like.

About Harnesses By Turid Rugaas

8. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

I have tried head harnesses and body harnesses and so on and so forth, but the only thing that has ever made any difference whatsoever to my dog pulling has been the Premier Easy Walk Harness. It is a front clip harness where the clip is actually on a martingale type loop, instantaneous results and after a few weeks, along side our continuing training, problem solved.

They are incredibly quick and easy to put on, one loop over the head and clip the belly strap together, ingeniously simple design, and extremely versatile adjustment so they will fit even the oddest shape dog. I ordered mine from the Friends Of Fido site and it came next day, great harness, great service. Get one.

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I have heard those recommended, but not for pups as they are still growing and the harness works by tightening over the chest and shoulder blades and the OP's dog is 6 months old.

I may very well be wrong though, please correct me if I am!!

10. bagpuss4

i,m looking for a body harness something that i can get more control over him being 7 and 1/2 stone he yanks me off my feet i can only keep up as i,m a good runner.

I was looking at the non pulll harness in pet planet is this any good?looked at the lupi looks very thin - thinking it may cut into Baxter i maybe wrong

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Bloody hell!!! That makes him nearly 48kg, sounds huge for a lab at 6 months; no wonder you find him hard to control...my 6 month old RR pup is about 35kg and that is heavy enough for me :eek:

As an aside, and you may well think I'm a bit bonkers, I have found that if I give Kilo something to carry like his ball or frisbee on a walk he forgets about pulling and just trots along...may be worth a shot?

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Ah...just realised that is probably YOU who is 7 1/2 stone...one of those days!!! Was imagining a monster dog :eek::eek::eek:

13. bagpuss4

hehe - aye i,m 7 1/2 stone just realised what i wrote Sorry ;)

14. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

I used the Halti double-clip on a dog, and I can assure you it is in practice, not just in theory. Of course you need to work then on heelwork, not just LLW, to really cure the pulling problem, but it does manage it.

The situation I prefer the features of the head collar, is to help unsociable dogs, to break the fixated glaring, and reduce the reactions of other dogs as part of counter conditioning.

15. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Different things suit different dogs.
    I use a head collar for Lilly and a front clip harness for Zipper.
    Zipper will not tolerate ahead harness and Lilly is so sstupid she just goes around in circles on a front clip harness :rolleyes:

These are my fav front clip harness
    Fleece balancing dog walking harnesses

16. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I tried one of these but I couldn't get on with it. It would have rubbed behind behind her legs-and just didn't look comfortable. Molly is tall and slim for a Springer so perhaps its just her shape. I think it would have worked for the pulling though.

17. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Forgot to say I've now bought a non pull harness from Amazon. Its stretchy- but encourages her to pull- it just feels easier on me.:rolleyes:
    Sibe/Husky owners never seem to complain about their dogs pulling- and I would have thought they were notorious for it?

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Gundogs are trained to walk to heel off lead for the most part as pups, and the lead is introduced at a later stage, so heelwork is more reinforced rather than taught on lead. Slip leads, like any lead, can be used wrongly, so if you're unsure, either get someone to show you how to use them, but don't expect them to cure pulling behaviour, that's done by training them to walk to heel nicely.

The Mekuti harness is apparently one of the most effective anti-pull harnesses, but just be wary of allowing young pups/dogs with developing skeletal structure to get into pulling and particularly with a harness that may restrict them and possible be detrimental to their development. By far, the best way to stop pulling, is to learn how to train your dog, not always easy, and I'm by no means a brilliant dog handler, but if I can do it, there has to be hope for everyone else :)

19. bagpuss4

he is brialliant off lead toddles at the side of u or just ahead, comes back when called so can't complain there. I have bought him an extension lead, not tried it yet as i,m thinking he might be worst on it pulling. I,ll give it a go see how it goes.
    got a good mind to go out and buy a sled think he'd make a great husky ;)

20. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

I saw one power-assisting the lady owner's jogging today :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice