Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which harness do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Nov 13, 2012.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I am thinking of getting Roo a harness. I have walked him in his Clix car one before but its not especially helpful.

I think I want one which looks friendly, ie. it doesn't look like my golden retriever is wearing a harness because he needs to be restrained/is aggressive.

And I think I'd like one which I can grab the top of easily if he is being a pully brat instead of holding his collar for a few seconds.

I'm looking at the Julius K9 as I know they have handles etc etc on the top but I don't really know much about other harnesses. I want to be able to hold him by the top of it if I want to and to look OK in terms of not restricting movement at all...

What do you use and why please?!

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I use a kumfi harness, handle on top is great and padded,3 d-rings so I can pick where I attach.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I always use the SASS walking/tracking harnesses, they are made to measure so you get a perfect fit too. Also all the buckles eyelets and fitments are brass. The one time I broke a habit of a lifetime, and got one of those adjustable harnesses that you adjust to fit with the plastic fitments, I found that it worked loose and become baggy, even if you had adjusted it before the walk by the time you had been out awhile it slackened off. Nanuq in a freak accident got out of it, came off over her head like you would pull off a sweater and got loose. So that went straight in the bin and I got her a SASS one.

Tracking harness for dog walking

You can have them with or without fleece lining, I usually have the neck and chest strap lined. With large powerful and especially agile breeds I wouldnt use anything else.

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I have a Ruffwear Webmaster for Jake, and Dylan wore one too. They're very comfortable on the dogs, and give very good control - I got them because they have handles on the back, and are study enough to use to manoeuvre/guide the dogs about - over stiles, across narrow bridges etc. Dylan was also quite wobbly on his feet the last few months, and I could use the handle to keep him steady when required. They do cover quite a large area of the dog, so perhaps would not be suitable for summer use, or for dogs who are going to get very warm charging around off lead, but they did not seem to restrict movement at all.

5. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

Because I couldn't get what I wanted in the colour I wanted, I made mine. So many seem to have buckles and clips in the armpits and move around too much. It has rings at the front, both sides and on top so I can attach the lead in lots of ways as needed. Everything is attached with velcro, so it's quick on and off, and there is nothing to rub. I clip it to the collar as a failsafe system but it's never come apart yet.
    Lucy seems to like wearing it and walks really nicely with it.
    I can also leave it on when she is off lead as there are no loose bits to get caught.
    I will try and get a photo to post.

6. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

At the moment I've just got a plain step in one for Lucky but in the next couple of weeks I'm getting a Haqihanna or SASS one. Just have to choose between the 2 now.

Both these harnesses look well made and comfortable :)

7. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

Sophie has a halti harness and it works very well as Ive tried quite a few different one's and this is the best Ive tried for her.
    Her lead clips to the collar with the halti and on her back and it stop her pulling instantly.
    Not expensive but very efficient.

Attached Files:

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Heidi has a cheap version of a Puppia harness and it took forever to find one for her that didnt rub her bald little armpits!:rolleyes:
    I dont think Hannahs would suit Roo though....she wears a cat harness!!LOL:D

9. Leam1307

Leam1307 PetForums Senior

deleted....

#9 Leam1307, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  10. Wyrd

Wyrd PetForums VIP

Doxlock and Julis k9 :) I def don't think they make the dogs look 'aggressive' as I've been appraoched a couple of times with Cooper to ask if he's a guide dog (he wears a yellow harness).
    The Julius k9 are easier to grab the handles, and slightly better made IMO :)

11. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

12. astara

astara PetForums Senior

wud like to see your home made harness please :)

13. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

OK. I'll take a pic tomorrow in daylight.

14. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

15. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Yep - the girls have collar and harnesses to match :)

16. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

I have attached some pics of my home made harness. I hope they are clear enough. It is in two pieces. The small part sits on the dog's back and the larger piece goes round her neck and torso. All the velcro and stitching is on the outside so there is no rubbing and it's easy to do up and remove. I always use it with a double ended lead. One clip goes on the front ring or through the front ring to the left side, and the other clip on the back or right side. The black loop is a halti link which I attach to the collar just in case.

Attached Files:

#16 lucylastic, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  17. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

Here's a couple more which may show how it fits a bit better. Unfortunately Lucy is not a very cooperative model.

Attached Files:

18. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

We recently bought Broder a padded Karlie harness in France. It was only 13 euro and I prefer it to his expensive £35 one!

He's tried a Julius K9 one on but I think they're expensive for what they are!

19. astara

astara PetForums Senior

there really clear photo thanks for sharing you have a talent i wud love to be able to be that creative sadly tho i am not i have no patience :eek: she looks really comfortable in it :D

20. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

Thankyou. I also made a similar one but used clips instead of velcro. It looks more professional but I prefer the velcro because I can get an exact fit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice