Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which GCCF documents should I receive with my new kitten?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lilia, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Lilia

Lilia PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone
    I get my lovely kitten that I named him sky 2 weeks ago the breeder told me that he is gccf registered with no active he only gave me vaccination card but my friend told me that he should give me other papers that proof it's registered with gccf to proof it's real BSH cat is that right?

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Yes you should have received a registration document unless you have signed to say you will receive them upon neutering.

3. Lilia

Lilia PetForums Newbie

I didn't sign nothing he only gave me vaccination card while on his advert was saying that kittens come with 4 weeks free insurance and 5 generation pedigree certificate ,gccf registered, 2 vaccination,flead and wormed,microchipped,food and toys so can anyone explain to me that ? And can I have the list of documents he should give me ?to contact him plz

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

You should have:
    A pedigree certificate, 5 generations preferably but 3 minimum, giving the names and registration numbers of his parents, grandparents etc.
    A registration card with his name and registration number, which should match the details on his pedigree
    If he has free insurance cover you should also have a cover note from the insurance company with the policy details.
    Edited to add, according to the advert he should have been chipped and you should therefore details of the chip number, the company the chip is registered with and either a certificate saying that you are the registered keeper or details of how to transfer the chip into your name.
    You should also have been given details of when he was wormed and treated for fleas. And as they are mentioned in the advert you should have at least a toy.
    If you are not provided with any of this contact citizens advice as you have been sold a kitten 'not as advertised'

#4 lymorelynn, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  5. Lilia

Lilia PetForums Newbie

Yes this is why I'm confused about I will attach the copy of advert he mentioned that kittens come with Gccf registration but he didnt say if active or no plus he didnt gave me no paperwork and he did mentioned that mum and dad are both registered so I didn't understood when he said kittens come with Gccf registration he was talking about the paperwork of mum and dad or for the kitten itself?

Attached Files:

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

That definitely says that kittens come with registration paperwork.
    Unless the seller provides these you are within your rights to complain, though I have to say it may not get you anywhere. If the ad was on pets4homes you may be able to report the seller
    It is possible that the parents aren't even on the active register which means that the kittens can't be registered.

chillminx likes this.
  7. Lilia

Lilia PetForums Newbie

I contacted the lady she said the registration is not active and I have to pay £1,600 to put it into active I told her I don't want it to be active I only want the paperwork that proof it's real pedigree kitten

lymorelynn likes this.
  8. Lilia

Lilia PetForums Newbie

And I payed £800 for the kitten with only vaccination card I feel like I'm stupid I didn't know all those things b4 purchasing

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I would report her to trading standards. To advertise a kitten as GCCF registered and not provide the evidence that it is strikes me as fraudulent. I'd also be tempted to report her to HMRC.

10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

So sorry to the OP.

Genuine question...but the you can pay X amount to have your puppy registered with the KC happens a lot in the dog world..huge price for something that costs very little £20 I think to register a puppy..can't remember...anyway my question is how much to register a kitten?
    I know it's off topic to some degree but am nosey.

11. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

Question to the breeders, could they report to GCCF? If the op knows the prefix, if they have one.

12. AmsMam

AmsMam belongs to the crazy cat

Not a breeder, but if I remember correctly from previous discussions it's very similar with kittens: should be a minimal charge. £1600 extra seems very wrong, particularly when the advert said GCCF registered.

lullabydream likes this.
  13. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Did you notice their adverts for 9 & 15 week old kittens have the same description of mum?

Their prefix used in the adverts is on the GCCF list.

While not unusual to charge more for active registered cats, it’s not a good sign they’d be willing to hand that out to anyone with the cash. That is not how reputable breeders operate. Though I’m suspicious the kittens are not eligible for registering and they’re hoping to hush you up by suggesting a large fee for papers.

A pet kitten shouldn’t have any additional charges for registration.

AmsMam, lymorelynn and lullabydream like this.
  14. OrientalSlave

That massive sum was for active registration.

15. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

£1600 extra for active is disgraceful! It's normal to pay anything between £800-1200 for an active cat in the UK, but that's the set price, not an extra. If you know their prefix, I would discuss it with GCCF

The only person that can register a litter is the breeder. The owner can register individual cats if the litter is registered, but they need to have to information to do so

lullabydream likes this.
  16. OrientalSlave

It's worth reading the GCCF rules, specifically 3a-g.

https://www.gccfcats.org/Portals/0/...ary web edition.pdf?ver=2018-02-27-103507-673

However the breeder has advertised the kittens will be GCCF registered but not provided proof they are, and I bet he's not shown you the parent's registration documents either. I wouldn't call the pedigree provided with a kitten a certificate as it's created by the breeder, not the GCCF, so could be a complete forgery.

I didn't see the prefix in the screen shots of the ads, has an image or link been removed?

17. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Adverts can be found by the text that was posted

OrientalSlave likes this.
  18. Parsley

Parsley PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am a breeder myself and all my kittens leave with their GCCF registration card, 5 generation pedigree from the GCCF as well as the one I complete myself, their vaccination card, microchipped transfer form, kitten care sheet and 5 weeks insurance with Agria. They also leave with a blanket, toys and some food they are eating. If the advert stated that you should receive their paperwork etc, then that is what you should have received.

Ottery likes this.
  19. petforum

petforum Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Lilia, Yes you should always ask to view these documents and make sure you have them to hand before paying for the kitten. However, my advice would initially be to contact the breeder and say that the description stated they would be GCCF registered and that you haven't received these. If they are unable to give you the GCCF papers then tell them you would like to return the kitten as it was misleading, and if they are not willing too do this or resolve the issue any other way then I would advise you to do the following and make sure you make them aware of your intentions so they may change their mind and resolve the issue :

1. If the cat was advertised on an online advertising platform, then report the advertiser to the platform (usually via a report advert button on the advert), and hopefully they should be able to disable their account until they resolve the issue.
    2. Report them to the GCCF.
    3. Report them both to the trading standards and your local councils animal licensing team.
    4. You may have to go through the small claims court if they are still not willing to resolve the issue with you.

Regards

lymorelynn likes this.
  20. OrientalSlave

Of course, how silly of me, but can't see anything like a prefix on the advert.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice