Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which food to gain weight.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by EmmaSmith, Apr 6, 2011.

1. EmmaSmith

EmmaSmith PetForums Junior

I changed my lab to Arden Grange over a year ago, but he has very gradually lost weight, even though he eats plenty. He's very active and happy, and wondering if anyone else has experienced this with AG? Any tips on foods to help him gain just a few more kg. He's tall, and 27kg at present. Vet would like to see him at 29-31kg. Thanks in advance.

2. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

iv personally never had this problem with AG, my two seem to maintain their weight well on it.

how much do you feed him? perhaps if he is very active, you may need to up the amount that you give him.

iv heard tripe is good for helping put weight on.

3. EmmaSmith

He gets roughly 400-450g a day. He would eat more if more was put down to him. I'll have a look in to tripe. Ty.

4. I say tripe too!

5. greatdanes

greatdanes PetForums Member

Tripe is fantastic food to put weight on
    We put our fosters on it and all of them generally do very well
    i cant recomme nd it enough :)

6. henry

henry PetForums VIP

AG is usually very good for keeping weight on - you could always try the Premium or Prestige varieties (Prestige being the highest fat/protein for working dogs, underweight dogs or pregnant/lactating bitches).

Definitely agree with the tripe as well.

7. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

How old is your lab and is he neutered? Our lab was similar not long ago and dropped weight on the food we gave him when we got him (as an adult).

He might just need a bit more dry food if he's really active, retrievers can pile it on pretty quick so maybe just giving him more or introducing something like the tripe will help him go up a bit for now.

8. EmmaSmith

He will be 3 years old in November, he hasn't been neutered. I'll get him some tripe. Thanks all for your help. :D xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice