Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

which food on a budget

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lizzyboo, May 7, 2010.

1. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

hiya.. hope you have all had a lovely day :0)

i am changing westie pupster, hes 12 weeks next thurs, over onto a new complete food, trouble is i dont know which one. i know its best to change them over gradually so i thought id do it over the course of next week.

what is everyones experience of different dog food? i dont want to pay the earth for a food but at the same time i do want something that is going to be good for my ikkle doggie x

2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

A lot of people reccommend Arden Grange as a decent 'budget' food :)

James Wellbeloved (JWB) is supposedly quite good as well.

It's a bit of a minefield really, there will always be people who say such a food is crap or such a food is good, whatever you choose there will be people who say it's rubbish.

All i'd say is avoid Bakers.... everyone agrees that it is one of the worst foods out there. It's like feeding your kids on Burger King every day.

We use Wagg which I know a lot of people also don't approve of (and tbh neither do I, but I dont buy the food) but our dogs have never had a problem on it.

3. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i know alot of people use skinners and csj dog food and are impressed with it. they are both a good price :)

4. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

I use James Wellbeloved JWB for my eldest lab - he has the senior version but the whole range comes highly recommended. As it doesn't contain any glutens, colourants, wheats etc, it is great for any dog with potential tummy issues/to avoid potential upsets. It's about £50 for a 15kg bag, but there are smaller versions available - depends on how much your dog eats (Ben is a labrador so a complete glutten!)

5. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

I feed my small breeds Royal Canin, and it lasts them quite a long time. I get to feed less because it is more nutritious than some other brands.

I will never feed Wagg ever again. My Dobermann (usually on Royal Canin Maxi) got fed wagg for a week when I was away and I had to put up with Terra-cotta coloured soft poos for weeks afterwards. It was terrible.

6. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

have any of you tried hills food? my vet reccomended it to me but i wonder if he was just after my money lol

7. xshelly_stanliex

xshelly_stanliex PetForums VIP

james well beloved is the same as wainwrights but jwb is more exspensive just because a different name. arden grange is a good food too.

8. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

thats exactly what happened when ohs nan kept feedingmy dobermann wagg when we were away too :scared:

9. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

He was just after your money.... It might as well be Bakers.... utter cr@p.

Arden Grange is the best budget food IMO.

I'd never feed RC. Check out the ingredients :eek:

I am a raw fan though, occasionally burns, but it is getting very pricey

10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

skinners f and t no v.a.t.
    csj

11. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

what do you guys think of purina light?

12. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

We're on a tight budget, and are in the process of changing to Wagg, not the worse, nor the best, it's in the middle. :)

We could only find Wagg puppy in Asda, though it can be ordered from various places online.

13. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

thanks for all your input guys. im still confused lol.

going to have a scout in P@H tomorrow to see what i can find. the james welloved is coming up quite a bit.... should i try that?

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Id go for the P@H Wainwrights over JWB. Similar, if not better, quality, and up to £15 cheaper for a 15kg sack.

15. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I've always found JWB to be quite expensive

16. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

thanks for the heads up nonnie x

17. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Def Wainwrights - my westie x JR was reared on it and its v low in cereal.
    She is on Skinners Adult now and doing even better but unfortunately Skinners dont do a low cereal puppy food

I dont think you will be disappointed with Wainwrights and the best thing about P@H is whatever make you try, if your pup doesnt like it, they will exchange or refund even if you have used some.
    I would have preferred mine to have their Salmon but she wasnt keen so I took it back and changed it for Turkey.

18. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

Not that I recommend it but Wagg is now on sale in B&Q stores. The 15kg original is £9.88 and the worker version is the same price for 17kg.

Pets at Home own brand is good quality for the price and I believe Wainwrights is pretty much the same stuff. My local pet shop currently has Fish4Dogs on special offer so Jasper is back on that for the time being, lucky thing!

When you look at different foods be sure to check the recommended feeding amounts. Cheaper foods may look like better value but as has been mentioned, you have to physically feed more of it and so it can be a false economy. If I were to switch to Bakers for example, I would only save around 30 pence a day, which is certainly not worth it.

19. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

Are you able to purchase Canidae ALS in the UK? If so, it's a budget-friendly option for a food without corn, soy, wheat, byproducts or artificial colorings, preservatives or flavors; antibiotic and hormone free meats, all ingredients sourced in US.

CANIDAE® All Natural Holistic Dog Food - All Life Stages dry formula

It would be a good choice for a large breed pup, but you might consider something with higher protein and different calcium/phosphorous ratios in a smaller breed of dog.

20. EquusLeather

EquusLeather PetForums Newbie

Ours have always had Skinners, thy are sensibly priced and good quality. They have a specific puppy food as well

HTH

Charlie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice