Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which flea prevention/treatment would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmily, May 5, 2010.

1. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

As we've got cats as well as dogs, and a regular hedgehog visitor (I think it was the same one several times last year) our dogs tend to get fleas. We've tried a few different brands in the past, would like to find one that's reliable...any suggestions?

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

We use Advocate these days for the cats and dogs and never see any fleas.

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Before I started my dog walking business I would just use flea shampoo to prevent heavy chemicals going onto to them unless they were invested I would of used stronghold but they haven't seen a flea as yet. Now that I have a dog walking business with boarding and day care I always flea treat my dogs to prevent flea spreading from dog to dog, so do now used advocate. Every 6 months for the adults I used milbemax and for the pup its the same but every 3 months xxx

4. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I use advocate, once a month.

5. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I know advocate covers worms, but do you use a tablet wormer still as some people do every 6 months? Or do you just rely on advocate? I hate plugging chemicals into my dog and use as little as I can get away with x

6. just4alaff

just4alaff PetForums Member

I read in "your dog" that if you add a clove of garlic crushed down to the food once a week it will keep flee's away.... there is something in the garlic that flee's don't like, I don't know if it will work but maybe someone else already use's this method and can advise you further :) xx

7. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Thanks for your suggestions :)

Hmm, I looked up Advocate, it's too expensive for us...

I Googled the garlic idea, as we've previously tried various flea collars, shampoos and sprays, including Frontline (sends Rosie crazy), I think we'll give natural remedies a try. I found this page useful...

Natural Flea Repellent for Pets: Treat Dogs and Cats with Garlic, Essential Oils to Repel Insects

(for anyone who doesn't read links - raw, uncooked garlic is not advisable, and can (apparently) be dangerous to some dogs)

8. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

I use Frontline.

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I would strongly recommend treating your home with Acclaim (or similar) as this prevents fleas breeding in your house. Fleas do not breed on the animals, but in upholstery, carpets etc in a nice warm human home. One application will last at least 6 months, if not longer. Acclaim prevents the fleas breeding by interrupting their hatching/development cycle.

Then if you do see fleas on your dog or cats, a quick squirt of Frontline Spray will put a stop to them, no need to use spot-ons. Frontline Spray is prescription only so you will need to ask your vet/vet nurse but it can be used on both cats AND dogs, the only product that can.

This combination has worked well for me, for years.

10. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

I use Frontline Combo on mine and have never seen a flea in all the years we have used it - and we have 18 cats, 7 dogs and live on a farm, so it definitely works!! It does drive them crazy for a day or 2 but that is just all the fleas dying if they do have fleas to start with, it's very safe stuff - you can use the frontline spray on 3 day old kittens with no problems.

We use the drontal spot on wormer for the cats, simply because they are mostly ferals and I'm fed up with having chunks taken out of my hands!! - have only used it a few times but so far it seems to have done the trick!

I know they're expensive but if you go for the cheap stuff you'll spend twice the amount and still have fleas/worms, and still need to go for a flea killer for your house to kill all the larvae and eggs so it's better to get something that does it on the animal to start with.
    The stuff you get in the pet shops are totally useless the Dr. Johns ones especially, garlic repels them it doesn't kill them, it also doesn't stop ticks at all, you'll find you are the target instead of the animals!! Do shop around, and if you bulk buy a years supply most will do deals so saves that way too, plus the bigger 6 packs work out cheaper in the long run than the 3 packs and they don't go out of date for years.
    Forgot to say about the hedgehog - their fleas are specific to them so won't cause a problem to your pets, fleas naturally occur every where so can be picked up whilst out for a walk or off a neighbors cat etc.

11. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Frontline is what we currently have, our vet put an instruction sticker over the information part, but it sends Rosie (puppy) crazy when we use it on her, as far as I'm aware Frontline can be used on puppies, a friend used it on her kittens, so I assumed it was okay for puppies (3 months old) too. Rosie seems to have a bad reaction to Frontline. Jena has a slight reaction when we use Frontline on her, but Rosie charges round the garden bumping into things, we can't use it again, she could seriously hurt herself.

I'll be at the vet within the next couple of days about both their worming treatment, I'll ask about Rosie's reaction to Frontline then. There are other flea treatments available from vets, including Spot-on.

Never tried any of the Spot-on treatments (don't laugh, my OH thought you had to find the flea and put Spot-on directly on the flea :lol::lol::lol: {I can laugh coz I love him, even if he is a bit of a dope sometimes})

We have a couple of different soft furnishing sprays, can't remember off hand what makes they are, they'll not be among the expensive ones though.

Has anyone tried the natural remedies for fleas?

12. noogsy

noogsy PetForums VIP

we use advantage,
    which i think kills everything,bug wise.
    ive always got it from the vet.
    noogsy x

13. ilans

ilans PetForums Newbie

There are few guidelines you have to keep in mind and if you do so, no fleas would bother you again:
    1. Keep your house clean! Don't focus only on your pet!!!
    2. Keep your dog clean! Wash your pet on every week
    3. Comb your pet daily!
    4. Vacuum your house with a flea collar inside the vacuum cleaner
    5. Fleas don't like healthy pets!!!

There is much more useful information you can find at How to get rid of fleas website... Try it if you want,
    Anyway, God luck!

14. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We will be using Drontal Plus (tapeworm preventer) once Holly gets to 1 year. Our vet said that she won't need tapeworm cover until that age.

We get Advocate online, and costs us £34 for 6 months worth. Which is a quite good price :D

15. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

I use Advocate for dog

And frontline combo for the cats. I have found that just Frontline does not work anymore but find the combo really good.

16. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Thanks for suggestions/advice

What is Frontline Combo?

Went to vets for worming tablets this evening, wasn't in the best of moods and forgot to ask about flea treatments. I'm sure I'm going senile, memory like a sieve :blush:

17. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Either drontol or milbemax wormer and strong hold or front line for fleas depending on where i'm getting it from , can't have a single flea cat or dog in the house becase fizz reacts dangerosly to them so i'd know if there was.

18. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

We've just gotten a kitten who has not scratched or anything since i got him thursday evening... only noticed today he's got little friends so he'll be frontlined tonight along with the dog and cat we already have. Took him to the vets earlier too and even she didn't notice any!

Just ordered some Acclaim spray from Ebay aswell... £6.99 a can with £2.80 postage... taking no chances.

Is Acclaim good because i wont forgive myself if the house gets infested... spent the last hour and half deep vaccing the carpets upstairs... shattered now and need a rest before i attack downstairs.

19. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

you could of rang vets for some would have saved on postage, hope you get sorted

20. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

I'll bear that in mind if theres a next time (hopefully not though) thanks DK. Had animals all my life and i've NEVER known anything like this!!

All animals now frontlined and ready to go.....

Let battle commence :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice