Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which Dry Food??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by CATastrophe, Jul 31, 2009.

1. CATastrophe

CATastrophe PetForums Junior

I have a question - at the bottom of this email if you don't want to read the prologue!!!! :)

Since getting Nermul - he's a ticked Asian and he's coming up for 5 months old now, we decided that he was to stick to a high protein wet diet and completely avoid kibble.... however, he is such a greedy thing that after many a discussion had to decide to give him dried food as an 'in between' meal times just to satisfy his appetite.

The trouble was that I went online to ZooPlus and bought Applaws Kitten which is a good 80% meat with no cereals, however it is very stinky and doesnt go down well with our BengalChinchillaX, who avoids it like the plague!

I then discovered from our breeder that many of her cats and other breeders cats dislike it too because of the very pungent stinky smell - bit too late now I've bought enough to see them up to being 12 months old!!

I like to be organised and at the moment I am trawling ZooPlus for a dried food to feed them after 12 months old - I have a shortlist of about 6 - but to get my money's worth it's better to order in bulk - which is expensive if the cat's don't like the food...

My question:
    Do manufacturers make little sample packs which I can try before I buy bulk??
    and where do I get them??

Thanks
    Vicky

2. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

Email the different companies and ask for some samples, and they will send you some. That's what I did and some send you vouchers too.

3. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

Hi Vicky, our ragdolls love there dried food and the one we use is James Welbeloved, i do know that they do a small 200gm pack in various flavours and you should be able to get these at somewhere like pets at home or if you have a "Range" store near you they sell them too and are a little cheaper than the large pet stores. i hope this helps some good luck........CHRIS.

4. CATastrophe

I think that's what I have to do - and you got vouchers too? Bonus!!
    There are so many different types out there that it is sooooo confusing!
    Thanks again! :)

5. CATastrophe

James Welbeloved is in my shortlist - Fish with Rice. Do they sell that at the Pets At Home stores?

I would prefer a brand without the use of cereals, like Applaws, Acana and Orijen - but supermarkets and pet stores just don't seem to stock this type of dry cat food - there's plenty of 'organic' but they are all bulked up with 'organic maize' - I just dont want to feed my babies that!!

Are there any high street brands with no cereal?

6. nurseberyl

nurseberyl PetForums Member

If you go to the James WB site it has a page to order samples. I did and they came quickly! and my cat loved it so they gained a customer haha! Oh and JWB is on 3 for 2 at pets at home right now.

7. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

You can get Applaws dry in PAH and most pet shops now. Some pet shops are starting to stock Orijen too.:)

8. CATastrophe

Yes, I've sent for the sample packs from the James Wellbeloved website - which is great... however, I'm struggling with Orijen and Acana which are based in Canada - although Orijen give you the option of purchasing a 400g trial pack for about a fiver - which even though it's not a lot of money I won't purchase because if the cat likes it I will be spending £70+ frequently on their food - so I think it only right they send samples out free as James WB does.

I guess I'll have to wait and see?

9. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

To be honest, I dont think you can tell if its going to suit your cat from one tiny sample. It would be better to give any food a few weeks at least and then make a decision:)

10. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Hi Vicky. I've got five cats - Ragdolls & moggies. I feed them premium dry food - normally Hills Natures Best chicken or Royal Canin. They aren't keen on James Welbeloved for some reason & didn't like the Applause dry either. I buy the huge breeder bags of food from a company called North West Pets based in Blackpool. The big bags work out much cheaper, but obviously you want to make sure they like it first. They offer free home delivery to most of the country which is great 'cos the bags are heavy, & they also sell at cat shows at special "show" prices (I've just had a look at the website & it tells you which shows they're going to be at). They sell all the premium foods & are reasonably priced Products :: North West Pet Foods . I actually order by phone, but you can do it via the website. They may be able to send you some sample packs? If you do get to a show in your area, you can get some great stuff for your cats - much more choice than at a pet shop. I don't show my cats, but love to go to the shows to see what I can buy them :) Hope this helps.

Postscript - why don't you advertise the food you don't want on the classified section of this site or on ebay? just a thought!

#10 munchbunch, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  11. Number 1

Number 1 PetForums Member

Orijen and Acana do sample sizes from zooplus. I had the same smelly thoughts with Applaws, that and one got the squits. They seem fine on Acana and Orijen though. Google for Orijen as their UK distributer also does sample sizes and a list of stores that stocks their food. They should also be able to confirm who near you has the sample sizes, they did for me.

12. eltongo

eltongo PetForums Newbie

I have been feeding my two cats James Wellbeloved since they were kittens and they seem to like it. However I was curious enough to try out the Applaws Dry (adult) a few months ago, which they love even more than JW so I changed them to just Applaws Dry. The food does smell a little bit, and so do their poos (noticeably!), so I am now mixing JW and Applaws (50% each) and that seems to have solved the smell problem.

I still believe Applaws Dry is a very good food, and the smell is a small price to pay for the increase in real meat content.

13. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

I got some from the pet shop today!! Pets at Home gave me loads of their own dry food, and I got some JW from another pet shop.

14. automaton2

automaton2 PetForums Newbie

15. CATastrophe

Well, after the problems with smelly Applaws, I bought some Bozita kitten kibble....

I've had to stop feeding him with it because, both Nermul and Oblio LOVE IT! And they're refusing to eat their meat!!!! :eek: So, for the past 2 weeks now they have had nothing but meat. At first they were extremely put out by this, but I told them both, 'if you don't eat your meat you're having nothing else' :D

It's worked, they get stuck into their meat again, and I just make sure that Nermal gets a little extra throughout the day to kerb his appetite - if it's not nailed down or locked away, he'll eat absolutely anything - but his favourite is chocolate cake (as we keep discovering!!!) :eek:ut:

16. eltongo

eltongo PetForums Newbie

I believe chocolate is one of those things that cats should never eat, so I hope your chocolate cake is chocolate-free? :eek:ut:

17. CATastrophe

I have no idea! We lock chocolate muffins in the cupboard, or in the breadbin etc., but believe me, he is wise to allsorts of things and even with child cupboard locks tries his best to get in... the problem we have is when my son (who's 9) is sat watching TV with a muffin, or in the garden Nermul attacks and steals!

He really is the most 'vulturistic' cat we have ever known. He wants to eat everything and anything. It's very difficult CONSTANTLY locking him out of the same room as you while preparing or eating food because he's getting tricky and can run like a bullet! Oblio on the other hand is disinterested in our food and is happy to eat her meat - she gets stressed with Nermuls constant begging and pestering and stealing!

You'd think a cat wouldn't eat stuff it shouldn't!

18. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

I used to feed mine on JWB kitten dry and Royal Canin kitten dry as well as wet food but I have recently bought a small bag of Applaws kitten dry which I mixed 50/50 with JWB kitten until I gradually fed her just Applaws, which she loves. It is smelly but worth the small sacrifice for such a good quality food. She still has her wet food too. :)

I think it's a great idea to ask for samples from the suppliers. :D

19. CATastrophe

Well, I have given up on Applaws, because like I said, they just wouldn't touch it! I will probably stick to Bzoita and Orijen.

I emailed all the dry food manufacturers. Only a couple came back to me - I am awaiting for the JWB sample being delivered, but one I received back - from IAMs actually said that they would refund your money if the cats didnt like the food....

However, I won't be feeding my cats IAMS, I beleive they have been unorthadox in the past, and I recently read on this site that one member had even seen footage of their cruelty... How true is this?? :confused:

#19 CATastrophe, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice