Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which Dog?????

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nip9k9, Jun 11, 2010.

1. nip9k9

nip9k9 PetForums Newbie

Hi Folks,

I am a bit new here and really need some advise. I have recently moved house. We live in the country with good space however beside a main road. My wife and kids are putting pressure on now to get a pet dog.

I have had dogs all my life as I lived in an area where they had plenty of free reign and would love my kids to have this in their childhood.

The problem I have is that
    A - We need a dog with plenty of energy to keep up with the kids
    B - The main road is an issue (are there any particular breeds one can condition to stay away from traffic and respect bounderies?)

Please help as the dog house is calling me more each day!!!!!!!!:confused:

Best Regards

Nip9k9

#1 nip9k9, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
  2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

do you have secure fencing between your house and the main road? if not, i wouldn't let the dog outside of your house off lead. wait until you are far away from main roads before letting it off lead.

how long will the dog be left alone during the day?
    do you want a short or long haired breed?
    how much exercise could you give to the dog each day?

3. nip9k9

nip9k9 PetForums Newbie

Hi thanks for your reply,

We have field line hedging but not dog proof!!! But I know of a few neighbours who's dogs do not cross this line no matter what is on the other side!!

We are not too bothered what kind of dog!! Long hair, short hair, big, small.....

I am more concerned we choose the correct breed for our environment to suit us and the dog.

I work from home so am there 80% of the time so this would not be an issue.

Many Thanks

Nip9k9

#3 nip9k9, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
  4. hawksport

hawksport Banned

If you can't dog proof the hedge could you build a run?

5. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I'd make the boundary secure or section an area off for the dog, its just not worth the potential heartache and expense if he wanders. Also if by a main road he could cause a traffic accident and injure drivers, which you maybe responsible for paying costs.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Ditto the secure boundary. Initially training it to stay within insecure boundaries could be an accident waiting to happen and once you have done it, you can never be 100% sure it wont escape. No matter how well behaved, there is always a risk. Perhaps a run as suggested or fencing inside the hedge?

There are a few sites that will come up with a list of dogs most suitable for you once you have answered a list of questions. You can then research the individual breeds and start having a look at them when you are out. I found this v helpful in making my decision.

I ended up with a cross breed but had decided I wanted a terrier, found the pup and researched the 2 breeds before a final decision.

Hope this helps - good luck, you really dont want to be in the doghouse:scared:
    Children have loads of love to give and growing up with a dog is just the best thing in my opinion.:thumbup: (no pressure :lol:)

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Get the boundary sorted before even thinking of getting a dog, i would never trust a dog choose how well trained it is not one day just to run any distraction something different he/she hasnt seen before.

Back to what breed? we have a cocker and 2 springers they love the country side have endless energy and are lovely family dogs.

8. davehyde

davehyde Banned

golden retriever all the way, ticks all the boxes

9. hawksport

hawksport Banned

For the benefit of the dog and the op does that include the bit about boundaries?

10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

thats been covered , i am just a lazy typist lol.

but other wise would fit right in

11. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Just didn't want it to be taken the wrong way and be reading a sad post in six months

12. davehyde

davehyde Banned

point taken:thumbup:

13. rona

rona Guest

14. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i would most definitely sort out secure fencing first, any dog will run "out of bounds" if tempted enough.

however, you should have a look into flat coated retrievers. i have one myself, and the girl has BOUNDLESS energy. shes fab with kids and other dogs. they are very "licky" dogs, always giving u big sloppy kisses. they love a good run, and definitely swimming. so if u dont want a dog who is in water all the time, then dont get a flatty. hehe.
    they are longish haired, but as long as u give them a good brush over every couple of days, then they arent much work.

15. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

What ages are the kids? A big boisterous dog can easily knock a young child over, but on the other hand a bigger dog is less fragile than say a tiny yorkshire terrier so could put up with kids playing. Theres no breed really that you can describe as child friendly, it differs from dog to dog, so long as they have a good upbringing and they should never be left alone unsupervised.
    If your not too picky about which breed or type of dog then you should take a visit to a shelter and have a look, usually have a wide variety and should be able to advice you which would be suitable around children.

As others have said, you need to have the garden securely fenced or get an enclosure before even thinking about a dog. Most rescues won't rehome a dog to you without a properly fenced in garden. And it would be heartbreaking a few months down the line for the dog to run out in front of a car, or chase livestock and end up getting shot.

16. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Have to agree, my friend had a dog that would never, ever leave the garden no need for gates up at the end of her drive 100% trustworthy one day. . . . . . . . . . screeeeech of tyres and holly laid in the road please dont trust a dog not to be tempted away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice