Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

which dog should i get?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emilylp, Aug 11, 2009.

?

which one?

1. BC

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Sbt

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Sprocker spaniel

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. Suggestions

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

i have 3 in mind to be honest just cant decide, they all have there advantages and disadvantages, but i just cant decide

i wil have 3 and a halth months straight of no school or college to train the puppy, i will then be going to college i dont know what hours my courrse will be and it probably wont be every day if it is everyday it will be finishing at 3 , somedays earlier some days later. (my brother will be in to let him or her out of the crate for toilet breaks ect ect)

we love Border collies, Then Sprocker spaniels or SBT , reli cant decide lol
    which do you think i should get?

Or you can suggest a different breed to me (not anything uber expensive)
    I dont like really small dogs ;/
    thankyou

2. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

personally i think either a sprocker spaniel or another beed IMO BC's and SBT's are way to much to handle for a first time owner.
    :)

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Personally I would say sprocker spaniel pretty easy for a first time owner as long as you put the time into training and exercise.

4. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

I clicked BC by mistake, The spanial would be your best bet IMO because they arent hard work!

5. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

How about a King Charles, they are fantastic dogs, very friendly the ones I know have been easy to train.

Terri

6. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

is a springer just as goood ? im guessing so , i ment to put springer but put sprocker LOL

id get either springer or sprocker tho tbh

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Springers are very high maintenance dogs, they like to be busy all the time and it's very hard to tire them out. They are fantastic dogs but are not an easy first time dog.

Terri

8. muse08

muse08 PetForums Member

If you might end up going to college every day until 3 then i would not recommend a cocker/springer spaniel or any working type dog that needs a lot of exercise,mental stimulation and training.Cavaliers are lovely natured and they are very adaptable.
    Have you tried the rescues to see what they have available.

9. Patterdale_lover

very good post
    Yes how about a CKC emily?

10. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

i dont like them ;/

what about the people who work full time who have dogs?

my brother will be in to play with her as i said :) and let her out to toilet

we will also be getting an outdoor kennel so when shes a little older she can stay outside when the weathers good and retreat to a kennel until i get in , sh will have toys out ect ect,

so she can get excercise in the garden even when i am out :)

11. Patterdale_lover

I think a show springer or cocker would be good if you were to get a spaniel. The working type needs lots of energy venting activities to do during the day :)
    How about a labrador? Great dogs. Very very good for the first time owner! :D

12. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

yehh, i wouldnt be buying a working breed id be getting a show breed if possible.

is it a good idea to havve a nice warm dog kennel outside so he can play in the garden whilst im at college and then if he gets a bit bored can rest in a nice warm dog kennel?

and i love labs but there too big for my house lol

13. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I'm not sure about an outdoor kennel. The weather can change in seconds so it might be nice when you leave but if no one is in the house no one will beable to bring the dog inside. Plus while you are at college the weather just gets wetter and colder because it's more autum/winter time. I think if you are still not sure on breeds it would be a good idea to go to a dog show with lots of breeds and speak to a few handlers/breeders plus you might see some dog breeds you never knew about before.

14. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

the dog will be in a wooden dog house, with a dog flap to stop wind getting in , will also have straw in on cold days and a blanket bla bla bla

will only be in the garden while im at college on SOME days then straight iin the house when i get back.

15. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I don't think cockers or springers would be good if you have an outdoor kennel as they are very people dogs. You could be heading for all sorts of behavioural issues if you put them outside with no human attention for any length of time. My cocker is a show type, and even he is hard work and can be boisterous and difficult to tire out. He needs 2 hours of walks a day to prevent him going crazy, and even after these, he is still ready for more. I would suggest maybe a shih tzu or westie or yorkie. They will usually sleep whilst you are out, but can not be kept in an outdoor kennel.

16. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

no , i will be in some days , out others...

you cant tell me all of you never go out because you have dogs?

when i get in at 3 , some days earlier, some days later, some days not going to college at all he will be indoors, i said he wont be in the garden everyday all day and night, just when on somedays , if the dog doesnt want to be in the cage indoors...

i will as soon as i get in walk him for 2 hours plus, walks on the beach ect ect, i dont like small dogs at all so i wont be getting a shitzu or anything , what about people who work 6 hours per day? what do they do with the dogs?

so many people i know own gundogs working dogs huge active dogs andthey work go to school or whatever , they have a kennel outdoor and a cage in doors, so they can choose weather they want to play outside or stay indoors, as i said my brother will be in everyday apart from thursday and friday to play with the dog weater he is inside or outside,my mum doesnt go to work until 10 .30 and ill be back at 3 ish , my dad works for himself so on somedays he will be in at 2.30 or earlier.. someone will be in from 3.00 some days earlier.

#16 emilylp, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  17. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

ooh yeah get a westie, my auntie has three and they are brilliant, they can be very lively when they want to be but not too over the top, and they are dead friendly, one of the few small breeds i would ever consider having.

18. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

;/ i dont like them .

19. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

This is quite worrying,gardens can be dangerous for dogs,some plants are poisonous plus the risk of theft.Dogs are stolen from gardens.

20. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

we have an 8 foot fence would put carpet grips on tops, and its a grassed area with no plants, there is also a lock on the gate.

please dont jump on my back for saying it could be in the garden whilst im at college, my brother would be in

im not the only one who would keep a dog outside with a nice cosy dog house, our garden is very secure.

alot of people keep outdoor dogs.

#20 emilylp, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice