Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which dog food to start off with?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by petlover2602, Feb 24, 2008.

1. petlover2602

petlover2602 PetForums Newbie

Our rescue dog is coming on tuesday, but not sure what food to start him off on. Should i give him dry food, or wet food? Will wet food be rich for his tummy?
    Thanks in advance!:)

2. petlover2602

petlover2602 PetForums Newbie

The lady we dealt with couldn't tell us, but i don't want to upset his stomach. Can you recommend a brand of complete dry food?

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Lots of rescue centres feed on donated food, so it can be a mixture of anything, which is why they spend hours mopping up s**t.
    Darren is right a good quality dry food is best, wet food is just an expensive way of buying water, often 80% of wet food is water.
    If he has been used to eating wet food, he may object to dry food at first, or may not even recognise it as food, so you need to be patient.

4. swinnk8

swinnk8 PetForums Junior

I used to work for a wholesale pet food warehouse (UK) and have also kept rescue dogs. So i know quite alot about what foods are available and good for your dog.
    We have always started our rescues off on White fish or chicken with a wheat mixer biscuit. You can get these blocks of fish for dogs from your local petstore. Fish is gentle on the dogs tummy, and having been stressed is a good starter food.
    If you are looking for a decent dry dog food try Beta Puppy for dogs up to 9 months old which goes on to junior up to 18 months then Beta Pet for general adult dogs until around 7 years of age. They then do Senior for the older dog. Beta Field is for working dogs. James well belloved is ok but i have seen dogs not being able to tollerate it. Bakers is good as it is semi moist. I suggets that any dry kibble is moistened a little anyway as it swells an awful lot even though it is extruded to start with.
    Stay away from Pedigree dry and wet foods as they mess around with he ingredience alot. Tinned meat is 75% water and the rest is aditives and a load of C**P.

1 person likes this.
  5. LetsTalkPetFoods

LetsTalkPetFoods PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Age would be a factor. Condition of coat and dog overall may dictate a better food verses a middle ground food. Are you limited as to how much you can spend on food or can you afford to feed the best , or at least middle ground?

Also, are you planning on going grain free or RAW or prepared raw? *THE BEST* is open for interpretation these days! Then there area mixture of all or some of those too. Lil-Lea gets Orijen dry and People food for her basic diet and I supplement that with 3 ounces of NV prepared raw lamb or chicken a few times a week, to make sure she gets the nutrients she needs.

Also, the word *safe *er* is better than to use the word Safe in todays times.

Dry or wet is really a preference of the feeder, but picking a brand according to the *ingredients* is much more important than dry or wet.

There are pros and cons as to dry and wet. Some say dry is better because of the wet food sticking to teeth and causing earlier teeth issues. Others say wet is better because dry *Swells* in the stomach. Some say forget the commercials foods, and feed BARF~ and say that prepared raw is still commercial foods and others say it is not and some want to deal with neither of the raws! Some cook for their dogs totally and do nutrient supplements!

What can you tell us as to your knowledge of good and bad ingredients and what you know about foods and feel about them yourself ? Then we can get some idea about how much you know about food facts in general ?

That will help us to be able to steer you in a direction that your are interested in going in or steer you away from a not so good direction :)

6. Newfies

Newfies PetForums Newbie

I got two rescue dogs from the RSPCA and was advised to maintain their current food, Pedigree puppy complete dry food was fine with them, then they matured to Pedigree small adult, obviously it depends on the age of the dog. I do agree however if the food is unknown to give them fish or chicken (boiled) and rice or plain mixer and slowly introduce the food of your choice over 7 days. We have a newfoundland puppy and she is on Beta puppy, I have found though with all three dogs they are better on meat based foods than chicken based for some reason.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice