UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have searched through so much dog food information and now my head is spinning. I'm asking for personal recommendations of good quality, as natural as possible, dog food. I am on a tight budget due to my work cutting down as its now out of season. I have looked at foods like Orijen, the ingredients are all there but I would prefer to feed something British rather than imported (personal preference) and Orijen is over budget. Roughy, give or take a few pence, I would like my daily costs to be around £1 per day. This is to feed a Lurcher and Terrier type. Thank you in advance. Regards, Rory.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hi. One food that has been pointed out to me recently is (( Eden Pet Food )) which seems like a really good quality and British made dry dog food. :)

The testomonials all sound good too which is always encouraging! I know just what you mean - dog food is something of a mind-boggling minefield! :001_smile:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello. Thank you both for your replies. Hadn't heard of Eden before, I have just googled it and it is looking good. British and not a bad price for the quality, I will request a sample.
I have been raw feeding for a while but now my salary has been cut I cannot afford to keep getting the meats in as I do not have a big freezer or even room for a big freezer. I had been buying it in weekly which cost a small fortune, my dogs are so totally worth it but now my income is going to be tight I need to unfortunately look at the dogs diet but I won't settle until I have found the right food. Thanks to you both. Regards, Rory.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
No problem. I know some people manage to feed their dogs raw ridiculously cheaply, they must have lovely butchers! Sorry I can't help you more with the dry food, the last lot we bought before starting raw was Hill's Science Diet on the advice of our vet, I'm now reliably informed this is high priced rubbish!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
No problem and hope you find a solution you are happy with!

My girly is fussy so getting her to eat what I want her to eat is not always easy! But am hoping for a puppy next year so am already doing my research - I will most likely feed raw but am looking into the various options. It's nice that Eden is domestically produced and isn't a silly price!

·
Registered
602 Posts
No problem. I know some people manage to feed their dogs raw ridiculously cheaply, they must have lovely butchers! Sorry I can't help you more with the dry food, the last lot we bought before starting raw was Hill's Science Diet on the advice of our vet, I'm now reliably informed this is high priced rubbish!
I feed our Harley on that overpriced crap :eek: :cryin: I know it is overpriced crap! Have too been searching for something a bit more natural. I am looking into raw diet at the moment, have been researching it all bloody day. I wanted to ask though, is it ok to feed ONLY meat to the dogs and maybe the odd veg/fruit for snacks/treats? I got in touch with someone on raw 2 go website and she said we would have to feed certain percentages of meat, fruit/veg and rice/potato.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I feed our Harley on that overpriced crap :eek: :cryin: I know it is overpriced crap! Have too been searching for something a bit more natural. I am looking into raw diet at the moment, have been researching it all bloody day. I wanted to ask though, is it ok to feed ONLY meat to the dogs and maybe the odd veg/fruit for snacks/treats? I got in touch with someone on raw 2 go website and she said we would have to feed certain percentages of meat, fruit/veg and rice/potato.
Some people think veg is necessary (BARF diet) and some don't (prey model raw diet). I think Raw2Go market themselves as a BARF supplier (I order from them) so I guess that's the style of feeding the lady has adopted.

Personally, I don't feed veg - the idea of prey model raw is that the dog will get what a wolf would eat, basically, so around 10% bone, 10% organ (half of which is liver), and 80% meat. There are loads of people on this forum who feed one or the other, and have done for years - as far as I can tell it's just personal preference, I just don't think vegetables are necessary. Our dog gets the odd bit of carrot when we're chopping them up for our tea, but that's it! We've only been feeding raw for a month or so, but she seems to be doing well so far! I think there are some stickies on raw feeding at the top of this forum, well worth a look if you haven't already.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Some people think veg is necessary (BARF diet) and some don't (prey model raw diet). I think Raw2Go market themselves as a BARF supplier (I order from them) so I guess that's the style of feeding the lady has adopted.

Personally, I don't feed veg - the idea of prey model raw is that the dog will get what a wolf would eat, basically, so around 10% bone, 10% organ (half of which is liver), and 80% meat. There are loads of people on this forum who feed one or the other, and have done for years - as far as I can tell it's just personal preference, I just don't think vegetables are necessary. Our dog gets the odd bit of carrot when we're chopping them up for our tea, but that's it! We've only been feeding raw for a month or so, but she seems to be doing well so far! I think there are some stickies on raw feeding at the top of this forum, well worth a look if you haven't already.
Thankyou for the reply!!

That explains a lot, thankyou! I am thinking of just the raw diet with no veg. Have noticed and sifted through a lot of the stickies explaining about raw, but its always easier just to ask as all the info makes my head spin!! :001_smile:

One of my collies has very itchy flaky skin, hes a new dog for us, and the previous owner just emailed me to say he has no health issues that I need to know about, hmmmm :rolleyes: And the other collie, my baby, has allergies to foods. Not sure which, I have to admit when he had the infection and swollen lymph nodes I was very naive and did not know much about foods for dogs. But now doing my research I can see what could affect him... So i reckon a raw diet is the way to go, plus THEY WILL LOVE ME FOR IT!! :D

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
Hello and thank you everybody. I've looked on pet supermarket and other online stores and have decided to settle for Arden Grange. Regards, Rory.
My collies have been fed Arden Grange for quite a number of years and do very well on it.

My 11 yr old bitch who has a food allergy/intolerance is now on The Natural Dog Food Company's sensitive though.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have fed Arden Grange too - it's a good quality food. :)

I used to use Pet Supermarket to buy Whisper's food (Arden Grange Partners - their wet food range) but I stopped using the site as delivery was so slow and unpredicatable. It really put me off. Plus they messed up my order a few times and even when I paid extra to get faster delivery it still took over two weeks to come!

I found Berriewoods very reliable, as are Viovet and Pet Planet.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I feed CSJ to my pup. He does really well on it. It's a small company set up because the owner (a sheepdog trialist) was fed up with trying to find a good quality dog food herself. May be worthy look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello. Thanks for that recommendation but CSJ don't create the dog food themselves, they are supplied by another company. For example, "No Grainer" is actually "Gold Line Cereal Free" but CSJ charge over £10 more. Thank you anyway. Regards, Rory.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.