Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which do you think is better?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Jan 2, 2012.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I've finally gotten around to sorting out Kenzie's insurance, but I'm a bit stuck on which company to go with. There's only a few companies providing pet insurance here, and I don't know which of these two would be better.

Both plans are pretty much the same price. It's worth noting that so far in her lifetime Kenzie's only ever been to the vet for minor things - ear infections, UTIs etc. However, who knows what the future holds!

Insurance A covers 80% of any treatment with no excess. This means I could claim for any vet visit, no matter how small. It provides $6000NZD cover BUT it stipulates amounts it will pay for certain treatments, e.g. $1200 per year for cancers, $500 per year for imaging.

Insurance B has an excess of $100 per claim, but after that $100 will pay the whole amount. It has higher cover of $9000 per year and doesn't stipulate set amounts for conditions.

Opinions?

2. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Pet insurance is a brand new thing here in Cyprus and I haven't got any for Bella yet. As a result, I have no experience and would not be able to give you a useful answer. I am sure more knowledgeable people will come along soon:)

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I assume they are both lifetime cover and not annual?

I would go for the second but read all the small print very carefully.

Have you got the opportunity to cancel within a set period like here?

4. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

Personally I would go for the second one. I am very wary to read all information provided as you're never sure what is included in the small print!! I am quite paranoid with Finlay's insurance. My parents had a lot problems with our last dogs insurance and ended up paying out thousands on vets bills. I'm not in the position to do this, so a good insurance policy is very important for me.

5. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Firstly, pet insurance is like human health insurance. Therefore, you need to make sure that there's no exclusion that would apply after a particular illness/accident has occurred. In the UK that would be a 'life long' insurance.

So, read the policies thoroughly and make sure. You may find the info in my link below useful (although it's really for the UK). On the basis that both are otherwise the same the second one is by far the better deal.

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone :) Yes they're both lifetime cover, and I've read the small print about the 2nd one a few times already (the first one doesn't have it on their website) and will obviously check it again when I purchase the insurance. There's a cooling off period of a few weeks.

I think I'll read the info on the 2nd one again and if I'm happy go with that one :)

Thanks for your help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice