Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which direction now?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by KELLYTURNER, Mar 4, 2012.

1. KELLYTURNER

KELLYTURNER PetForums Newbie

Hi. I am new to this forum.
    I have been riding since I was 9 year old and have previously owned, trained and competed on my own horse.

I have just started riding a friends horse, she wants me to work on her, she has never really been 'schooled' just jumped and used for hacking and a bit of fun, so she is quick and not very balanced once you start working her within the school.

She is currently in a dutch gag with french link bit, but I have ridden her also in an eggbut snaffle which is fine for in the school. I have seen other people riding her before I started, always ridden with draw reins on to keep her from putting her head up or out and does appear to keep her more balanced, however I ride her without as I don't want to be using that before she can balance herself.

She is very choppy in her strides and continually becomes faster in whatever pace you put her in. You can control her to an extent with your seat, siting still and deep but it does get to the point where you do have to use your hands, and more than I would like to.
    I do first work her allot in walk, turning, transitions from halt to walk/walk to halt, keep her interested and listening but she still wants to get quicker.

So I would like to tackle this from the base (I hope) maybe starting with a feed which will take the edge off and calm her a little so that the work can begin.

Would picking a different feed maybe be an answer? I don't want to start using stronger bits, I see that more as a last resort, if I can do something while 'not doing anything' then I see that as being the best way (with changing feed maybe/hopefully) - - but it does have to be affordable stuff.

Thank you for any help you may have!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice