Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which Chew Deterrent?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Randomly Set, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Randomly Set

Randomly Set PetForums Senior

Seen one in P&H today called Shaws Chew Deterrent for £6 (300ml). On here, I've only seen Garricks Bitter Apple mentioned so far which is a tenner for a similar amount (8oz/286ml).

Are there other suggestions?

2. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

I haven't used one, I've never need too, is your puppy crated when your not around? If so it's easier to teach him what not to chew, than to stop him chewing something he gets a taste for..

You do need eyes at the back of your head, but puppies are like kids in the fact if they have gone quiet they are either asleep or doing something they shouldn't be.

Crating a puppy when your not there is for it's safety and also so it can't be doing things it shouldn't be without you there... As I said easier to teach them not to do something before they even start it, than trying to stop them doing something they find out they enjoy...

I used to even put him in his crate if I went upstairs to the loo ;)

3. Randomly Set

Randomly Set PetForums Senior

Yes we're crating him. Not built time up. Introduced him to it, and he sleeps with door open.

Left him twice for an hour yesterday (we had no choice). The second time he was crying when we got back. Tried an hour this evening and he was ok when we got back.

Got to do 5 hours tomorrow evening :(

Anyway, a bit off topic :D

4. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Mine chewed most when we were around. Found bitter apple worked brilliantly...now he just sees the bottle and runs away :)

5. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I used Cribox.

Go for the spray over the paste/oil. The oil, funnily enough, makes everything very oily.

It was designed for horses who crib bite. It doesn't smell slowly and is perfect for teething puppies. DO NOT taste it. It's really strange. Totally harmless but kind of like those fireball sweets you used to get? The ones that made your tongue go all tingly and burny lol.

It's readily available on Amazon :) Worked wonders for both Dexter and Skip. I put it on all wooden furniture even before I brought Skip home. He licked a dinning room chair one day... He's now nine moths old and has NEVER chewed a single bit of furniture :) And he was given free run of the house from nine weeks old :)

6. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

5 hours is a long time for such a young pup....have you got anyone who could come to give him a comfort break?

7. Meezey

Mine to, but at least when your there you can redirect their chewing.. Touch wood to this date at 7 months Cian hasn't chewed anything he shouldn't because we have stopped him, and given him things he can chew.The only dogs I've had issues with chewing things were way before we used crates.

8. Meezey

If it's a one off and something you can't do anything about I'd try not to worry to much. If you could get someone in to let him out while your gone, fantastic, if not don't beat yourself up about it if it's the once, I know it upset you leaving him the other day. While not ideal shiz happens :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice