Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which breed to choose?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vicster, Mar 29, 2008.

1. vicster

vicster PetForums Newbie

I am getting a dog and am undecided between a miniature poodle or miniature schnauzer. I have asthma and cat allergies and have read both breeds are good for allergy sufferers. I have two children as well, they will be four and seven when I get the puppy. It will be my first dog and I am very keen to train and socalize properly. I work part-time and will have a dog walker on work days. I really need advice on the positives and negatives of each breed from dog owners. I have read miniature poodles can be very barky and sensitive but have heard they are also very calm and biddable. I don't know if Schnauzers are as good for people with allergies. Any information gratefully received:)

2. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

have you thort about getting one of them hairless dogs ? :) there lovely :D

3. minnie

minnie PetForums VIP

they must get a little cold though!

4. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

u can get em lil jumpas...nici on here has one, its well cute.
    it has a lil hairdo ontop of its head haha. like a mohawk.

5. ChrisPat

ChrisPat PetForums Junior

What about a labradoodle. I believe they were originally bread by a woman in America because of her husbands allergies. They don't shed, they're hypo-allergenic, intelligent and good with children. Quite expensive too though!

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Yer for a designa cross bred heins 57 :mad: good point tho.

7. ChrisPat

ChrisPat PetForums Junior

Bless them! Cute enough looking dogs but it's just another breed for the unscrupulous to make money out of. I know it's still a cross but they're even sticking other animals into the mix now.

Others you may want to consider...
    Airedales are fairly versatile and good with children. Quite pricey on the hairdresser though because they have to been done by a pro because they get their hair plucked.

Schnauzers are a good choice because you can go from miniature to giant. They rarely have an odour but you'll have to pay for clipping. They're a versatile dog too and good with children.

If you like the idea of a poodle though and it's just what you have heard about barking and being sensitive, I wouldn't worry about that too much. It's not all poodles or they wouldn't be so popular. I bet for every single breed out there there will be someone who says "I wouldn't have one of those because...". If it's from decent stock and you treat it properly there's no reason for it to be worse than any other breed.

Personally though I think if it's your first dog and you're planning to train it yourself, I would avoid the dogs with 'muscles'. Fortunately the choice for asthma sufferers is for the most easy going types. For an easier first dog though of all of them I would go for the poodle or labradoodle. Or just about any other creation they are mixing the poodle with these days.

Another thing you may or may not be aware of but allergy inducing substances are not just found in a dogs hair but also in the skin scurf and its urine and saliva and all differ from one breed to another. Your children may also have the same sensitivities as you so whatever you decide on, I would see if you can get the three of you round one for some play time to see if it causes you any problems before you decide. It would be an awfull shame for you to find the dog of your dreams that didn't shed hair to find out you were allergic to its spit or if it 'went' in the garden your children suffered badly!

More often than not though it's the breeds with fine hair that cause the problems. I get it with cats and birds and can hardly breathe sometimes and get itchy spots round my neck and hands with some dogs but I manage perfectly ok with my sisters springer spaniel, my fathers Irish Setters and my last dog, a terrier crossed with about half a dozen other things. I've even heard of Bichon Frise and Cocker Spaniel being recommended for Asthma sufferers.

My best advice is to decide what breed you would like to have then find a breeder, tell them you're thinking of having one and get the three of you round there. You'll get to meet the adults. There's generally a lot of hair about the place and they're bound to want to lick you. You'll know within 5 minutes if you're going to cope or not.

8. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

If you go onto champdogs you can research allsorts of breeds - there's loads of owners/breeders on there with websites that you can visit to help get the info you need

9. AJ

AJ Guest

I used to have a quite mild cat allergy but now we have two it seems to have diappeared! :rolleyes:

10. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Do you think it was a bit like man flu Alan:p:p

11. vicster

vicster PetForums Newbie

Thanks, I think going to see breeders is the best logical step. I went to Crufts and stroked loads of breeds and didn't have any reaction at all so fingers crossed.

12. AJ

AJ Guest

No, I don't get man flu either! :( I used to get a itchy rash where ever they touched my skin and they made me sneeze now and again too, don't have any reaction at all now though! :D

13. ittybitty

ittybitty PetForums Junior

Hi, Get a Chinese crested true hairless. Ave a look at our site and see our cresties, see what you think.
    ittybittycresties

14. jessy1994

jessy1994 PetForums Newbie

the dog I will choose is a german shepard for safety:)

15. gazt

gazt Banned

poodles are yappy but very intelligent keep it busy playing toys and walks might help why not consider a bedlington terrier they love kids and they don,t bark much only when they should i have one she is a great little dog and dont shed thier hair fine for asthma sufferers gazt

16. tayah

tayah PetForums Newbie

hi
    I would have a mini poddle there very fun but tell your kids to leave it alone for a cople ov days
    tayahx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice