Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Which breed is best?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mags4eva, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Mags4eva

Mags4eva PetForums Junior

I have been doing a lot of research on breeds but still not sure which breed would suit our house best. We would need a hypo allergenic breed, small size and would be alright to be left on it's own. Not to vocal as we have neighbours who have 2 small children. We have a small back garden but live on a hill by the countryside. Does anyone have any advice on which breed would be best? in their opinion?

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Toy/mini poodle might be the best.

3. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Tibetan or toy poodle

4. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

erm a cat pmsl........hehehhe.

5. Mags4eva

Yeh maybe not a cat my sister is REALLY BADLY allergic to cats. I think poodles are really sweet but my dad doesn't like poodles he thinks they are a bit to scrawny. Has anyone had any expierence of Miniature Schnauzers? Or hybrids like the Schnoodle and the Goldendoodle (i no they're not very small!) or any other breeds?

6. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

I have a Labradoodle and have met a few Cockerpoos (cocker spaniel/poodle mix). Cockerpoos are sweet and much smaller than Labradoodles. Look at my pics to get an idea of the size.:) However, doodles of any sort are NOT hypo-allergenic, as their coats are not predictable so I would not get one expecting them not to shed etc. Hope this helps.:)

7. Mags4eva

Yeh i see what you mean mite b a bit 2 big for our house. Yeh the hypo allergenic part is important although we did look after a lurcher for a week a couple of weeks back and he didn't shed a lot but you did find a little bit of hair on the sofa sometimes and my sister didn't react at all but still want to play on the safe side!

Guinevere13 likes this.
  8. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

With lurchers it all depends on the mix how hypo allergenic they are. I'm not sure if schnauzers are hypoallergenic but they are great little dogs.

9. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

The only dog I know that has a good coat is a poodle, so no help there I'm afraid. Good luck with your search though.

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Or maybe one of the terriers some of them have good coats for allergy suffers. You can probably find a list somewhere.

11. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

12. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

What about a lhasa apso? I have 2 of these because we needed hypoallergenic for my asthmatic son and we've had no problems. Non-moulting breed, although they do need grooming lots and to keep them in short coat will need clipping every 3 months or so.

13. mistique57

mistique57 PetForums Junior

Poodles,shih tzus,lhasso apso,yorkshire terriers,are all small no shedding breeds also alot of the poodle crtiss are low shedding like cockapoo,cavipoo,pomapoo,good luck in your search love to see pic's on what you decide to have.

14. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Dogs that don't shed trend to be breeds that need to be clipped every 6 weeks or so as the hair keeps growing and doesn't fall out.
    Such as
    Bichon
    Poodle
    Tibetian Terrier
    Shih Tzu
    Lhasa Apso
    Maltese

Other dogs that hardly shed are breeds who's coats need stripping
    for example
    Wire Haired Dacshaund
    West highland terrier
    Shnauzer

The thing to do is research breeds, narrow down your choices, then visit pet owners and or breeders with those dogs and see if anyone reacts.

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Whippets hardly shed at all. My friend is allergic to dogs but she is ok with whippets. They are not completely hyperallergenic I do know people that cannot have them but I have 10 and to be honest if there are any hairs about they are usually either my setters or my greyhounds.

Or maybe a whippet/bedlinton lurcher.

16. Mags4eva

R whippets generally well behaved and obedient? They do sound good but we are basically first time dog owners!

17. jlushh

jlushh PetForums Member

Get a pomadoodle heh.

18. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

As young pups they do tend to be naughty but no more than any other breed. If you go more for a show bred than a working /race bred they do not have such a chase instinct or mine don't.

I saw the other day on a whippet site a whippet x italian greyhound 8 months old I'll see if I can find it.

19. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

#19 Freyja, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  20. Mags4eva

Just had a look at Nobby. He does sound quite pro-active so maybe not. We think we might of decided on a breed. We all like the look of a Border Terrrier even though they can be quite cheeky. Its the only small dog my dad likes lol. Has anyone had any expeirence of Border Terrier's? My friend just got one but i haven't spoken to her recently so i'll have to ask her a bit about them. Are they prone to barking? I know they have a trait of digging but we can manage that- although my dad has spent the last 6 years regrowing the grass after poor Thomas, our rabbit died so he might not be too impressed by the holes that might appear lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice