Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

which brand of food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Snowsky, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Snowsky

Snowsky PetForums Newbie

Hey all.
    I have 3 lovely cats, our youngest Milo is 7 months and have had 3 lots of bad bad tummy since we got him.
    A faecal sample is at the vet atm, to find out what might be wrong with our little boy, but the vet recommended to give him Royal Canin Veterinary Diet - Gastro Intestinal GI 32, which we have done all 3 times now, which seems to settle it, however he has also been treated for worms, but hopefully with the sample this time, they can tells us what is wrong with our baby.

Now as much as I love my boys to bits, I think the special diet food are very expensive, and have been looking in to other brands.

Can anybody recommend me something different?

So far I've looked at changing to :

Sanabelle Sensitive or Sanabelle No Grain

or different brand

Smilla Sensible

both of these brands writes in the description that its for sensitive stomachs and helps to easier digest it.

a little link to them so you can see what I'm talking about, want the best for my cats, but as they will all be eating the same food, I find it rather expensive to pay the price that the vet diet range (which ever brand) cost.

Sanabelle Sensitive with Poultry: Great Deals on Sanabelle Cat Food at Zooplus

Smilla Sensible Cat Food at zooplus

2. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

I really don't know anything about sensitive foods. What makes a food suitable for sensitive stomachs when other foods aren't? Is it just better quality?

Can't choose between the two foods you link to as they're both dry and I wouldn't feed either. Have you considered trying to transition to wet food? It'll be much much better in the long term.

I hope the tests are enlightening. :)

3. Snowsky

Snowsky PetForums Newbie

Every time I give wet food he ends up with the runs, which is why I have stopped and changed to dry food :001_unsure:

4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Poor lamb - hopefully the vet will be able to give a diagnosis soon

Mia had a terrible tummy when she was little - vet was never able to get to the bottom of it (no illness etc) and she did eventually just grow out of it and, touch wood, she's never had another upset tum since

5. Snowsky

Snowsky PetForums Newbie

I'm really hoping Milo will to, would hate not being able to give Simba and Felix some wet food and nice treats, can't stop Milo, and means I'm waking up to floors of poop.

Milo bless him dont seem affected by it, but cant be nice for him

6. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Please don't give up on wet food. What brands have you tried? Feeding dry to permanently dehydrate him, and give the false appearance that everything is ok, is the worst possible strategy.

7. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

If the vet can't find a reason for his runny poos e.g bacteria or parasites, have you considered raw such as Natural instinct or nutriment?

8. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I'm thinking that if diet alone resolves it (the RC) then it may well be diet causing it, and what you need to do is find out which element of his diet makes him ill. Have you tried to work out if it could be something like that?

9. Snowsky

Snowsky PetForums Newbie

He is fed on RC sterilised, as Felix have had cystitis twice before. Wet food have been smila, RC, sheba, felix, Iams.

I should have the result back on friday, so will see what happens.

I'm thinking he might have had something to eat outside, since if I dont give him anything but dry, he is fine.

Have never heard that you shouldn't be giving your cat only dry food, makes me worried now!

10. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

My cat is very prone to diarreoh, still not sure why, but we're going to try these soon and see if it helps

All Products | The Happy Kitty Company

I will let you know if we have any luck. May beep worth a try?

11. Satori

Ok, with the exception of smilla, the wet foods you mentioned are rubbish. I'll bet there are high quality wet foods that will not cause him dietary indiscretions. Some cats just need highly digestible foods and the ones you have tried are amongst the very worst available in that regard. I would start with omnomnom and ropocat if I were you; both are highly digestible single protein diets.

Better still, feed raw. Two of mine were addicted to Sheba, rc selective and Iams and both had chronic diarrhea until I got them onto a proper diet. They refused high quality wet but took to raw. Now, having got used to real food they will eat good wet too.

And, yes, you should not feed only dry. Better to never feed any dry really. And for a male cat &/or one who has had cystitis it is a recipe for disaster.

#11 Satori, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  12. Snowsky

Snowsky PetForums Newbie

what do you feed your cats on?

13. Satori

Pork shoulder, chicken thighs, pork leg, turkey breast, lamb neck. All Raw.(All these supplemented with felini complete). Quail, pheasant or duck breast as a special treat. Day old chicks and, occasionally, mice for the one who really likes them. Nutriment for the two that will eat it.

Catz Finefoods, Ropocat, Animonda exotic, Terra Faelis, Omnomnom, Granatapet, Animonda Rafine soupe, miamor pouches, hi-life tempt me tuna in sauce, pets at home seriously good chicken.

The ones in red are borderline in quality IMHO so I don't offer them too often but they are tasty and good for reviving a bored appetite.

#13 Satori, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice