Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where to start??

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Jade123456, May 29, 2018.

1. Jade123456

Jade123456 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have considering becoming a cat breeder for many years. I’ve done tons of research.

But would love to hear from some experience breeder on your experiences. Where to start?

Thanks
    Xx

ewelsh likes this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What breed are you thinking?

ewelsh likes this.
  3. Jade123456

I have most knowledge of Maine coon and BLH.
    I had Maine coon from a early age my mum never bred them they where only pets.
    I have my beauty pearl she is British Long haired. But she is my bestie and also on the non active register so no plans to breed her.

Xx

Attached Files:

ewelsh and Treaclesmum like this.
  4. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

If you haven't already, how about showing Pearl? Going to shows is a brilliant way of meeting breeders, getting to know people and developing an understanding of your chosen breed. I know we see some BSH/BLH at TICA shows but there are generally far more at GCCF shows.

ewelsh, spotty cats, AmsMam and 3 others like this.
  5. Jade123456

Thank you honestly I have never been to cat show! Are they common? I will google them xx

6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I recommend showing a neuter for several years before thinking about breeding.
    Meet breeders, network, find some mentors, learn all you can about the standard and what you’re wanting to breed for.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  7. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I'm a new Maine Coon breeder, and I show regularly.

Best advice I can give is show first, for a few reasons:
    • Understanding the breed standard - there is huge difference between different lines, as well as differences between UK and EU lines
    • Networking and reputation - you will be expected by the MC community to prove your dedication to the breed and your desire to work with the breed to improve it
    • Experience in the breed - whilst a very laid back breed they do require a fair bit of maintenance with grooming, and many have sensitive tummies. They also have huge personalities
    • Mentor - showing is the best way to find a mentor
    Definitely get along to a show, the Maine Coon Cat Club show is Sat 30th June in Tamworth, West Midlands (address here). The closing date has now passed, but there will be loads of MC breeders there (including myself) and it's a great place to start if you want to get into MCs.

#7 Rufus15, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    SbanR and ewelsh like this.
  8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

May I ask why you want to be a breeder?

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Look for GCCF - most shows in the UK are run by them. Is your cat a registered pedigree? If not she can be shown as a household (moggie) or pedigree pet. But suggest you visit a show first. They are all open to the public in the afternoon, sometimes from as early as 12:00.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice