Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where to star in dog grooming

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by MrsBrightside, May 18, 2017.

1. MrsBrightside

MrsBrightside PetForums Newbie

Hey all I hope someone can help.

I am 37 (on sat) and want to retrain as a dog groomer.

At the moment I work shifts so I was looking at online courses but also have a friend who is willing for me to have some hands on experience. The online course was better for me as I can then fit it in around my son, work and the placement at the groomers I have secured.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of which course is worth doing?? I feel like I havent a clue what is worth doing and what isnt?

2. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

Is your friend a dog groomer?

I've never seen the contents of an online course but dog grooming is extremely practical. Whilst theory is very relevant and useful it's not enough to then go and groom a dog on your own.

If you found a quality course online and used it to them gain experience by volunteering it could make you find a placement more easily. Otherwise it would be a waste of money as you would still need a qualification or many years as a trainee/assistant before you could groom on your own.

3. MrsBrightside

hiya yes my friend is a groomer...I did try and link to the course its via stonebridge (if you google it) and the course is the
    Dog Grooming Professional Advanced

4. Hardwick Hounds

£345! You'd be far better putting that money towards a college course. The free clippers it offers aren't professional clippers and wouldn't get you very far which makes me question the credibility of the course.

5. MrsBrightside

the problem is I cant get to my nearest actual college :( so online learning was going to work well for me, the advanced course I dont think you get the clippers it was £314? cause for some reason the higher level course was cheaper then the lower level with the free clippers lol this is why I asked for advice as this is all new to be and a whole diff work option.. I might just have to keep it a dream if the online options arent right :(

6. Hardwick Hounds

If you have the budget you could do an intensive course over a couple of weeks at a grooming school and stay in a B&B nearby. That would provide you with a qualification and enough experience to get a job as a trainee/assistant while you build up your portfolio and experience to be a Groomer, and enough to do a basic groom or two at home. If you have a good credit score you could finance it with a personal loan with reasonable interest. That would be my preference if I were in your shoes.

Whereabouts are you?

7. JoyceRedn

JoyceRedn PetForums Newbie

There are many dog grooming tutorials are available in the youtube.

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Not really a practical solution for someone who wants a qualification though, more for home grooming your own dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice