Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where to find a Chocolate Labrador???

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by koocnaed, May 14, 2010.

1. koocnaed

koocnaed PetForums Newbie

I have just moved in with my girlfriend and we have made the decision to get our first dog (it was either that or a baby, and I know what my vote is for at the moment :))

Ever since she was a child my girlfriend has always wanted a Chocolate Labrador and would love to surprise her with one on her birthday.

Having never bought a dog before, what is the recommendation of the best method of purchasing a new pet. Can the sites online be trusted? Is there a directory I can join?

Just looking for some advice here....

Thanks

2. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

I think the kennel club might be of help and just looking at different breeders and making sure they have done appropriate health tests.

3. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

We looked on the kennel club and spoke to a few breeders before we got our lab.

4. koocnaed

Thanks for your quick reponses. I am on the kennel club website now. This is exactly what i was after :)

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Hello there, I know of a current litter of well bred chocolate Labradors, if you'd like me to point you in their direction I'd be more than happy. The parents are fully health tested, have good results, and have done well in the show ring, they are lovely examples of the breed.

My email address is [email protected] - I help anyone I can after a Labrador pup to find a good breeder, so that they support someone who breeds ethically, and don't get taken in by possible byb's or puppy farmers.

If you're wanting to look for someone yourself, make sure you see mum with the pups, don't be fobbed off with any excuse for that. Ask to see all the original health testing paperwork, people do lie, and claim their dogs have been tested when they haven't, and also give false paperwork. The tests you should ask about are imo hip scores, these should be around the breed mean standard of 15 combined or lower, so each hip is scored out of a total of 53, the lower the score the better. The scoring is done by the British Veterinary Association and is on their paperwork. Also, a current clear eye certificate, again, should be BVA paperwork, I can scan and send you examples if you like?

Other health testing I'd like to see is (in order of preference) optigen testing for PRA, parents should be tested or clear by parentage, ie both their parents clear so that they are also clear. Elbow grading, this isn't as definitive as the hip scoring, elbows are graded 0-3, so out of a possible four grades. It's usually shown as the highest score, so a 0/2 would be a 2, a 1/1 would be a 1. The KC advise anything higher than a 1 shouldn't be used. And finally CNM, this affects a few lines and any pups bred affected, usually develop the condition early in life, and it is unfortunately not usually a condition they live with, thankfully it isn't widespread.

Ask to see all original paperwork, can't emphasise this enough, so many people are taken in and once they see the lovely pups all thoughts of being taken in by someone who isn't a responsible breeder are out of the window.

dobermummy likes this.
  6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Just a thought but I'm sure your girlfriend would like to be involved at the choosing stage, rather than you surprising her, or maybe thats just me.

7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Also have a look on Champdogs :)
    Good luck in your search,i too have labs,good choice lol!

8. lifeizsweet

I would have loved my OH to surprise me with Bramble... i loved going to pick him but i'd have loved for him to bring me him home as a surprise.

9. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

Same here I was convcinced my hubby was gonna surprise me with a boxer puppy as a wedding gift - had been hinting like mad.

Ended up with a watch:(

10. lifeizsweet

Every birthday and even odd weekends when he was acting all sneaky i was expecting him to bring a puppy home...usually he was just going out on the piss and i'll got as a present was kebab..... :rolleyes:

11. EmsBuddy

EmsBuddy PetForums Member

Although i love surprises, i really enjoyed going with my OH to pick Buddy and to see his mum, dad, brothers and sisters all together.

12. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I agree! It is all part of the experience of getting a pupster i think, i always get photos of mum and dad and litter mates for their 'family album'!! :D :D

13. welshdoglover

welshdoglover PetForums Senior

You and me must share the same OH, except I get a bag of chips :lol: a kebab is far too adventurous for a boring old frat like him, thank goodness for my dogs on occasions :lol:

ps, I might surprise him one day with my dream dog, a choccy coloured poodle (min if possible) :thumbup:

14. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Tarimoor has given some good advice, but just to add to the comments about giving it to your girlfriend as a surprise. I know a number of members have said they would have loved to have a puppy as a surprise, but NO reputable breeder would let a puppy go under these circumstances. Part of the selling/vetting process will be meeting the whole family and ensuring that all parties are happy.

If you want to surprise her, why not do your research first, make contact with a breeder and then give your girlfriend a card/token with a chocolate labrador on the front, details of the research you have done and the promise of a pup that she can pick herself.

15. koocnaed

Thank you all for you replies! I see your point about getting her involved with the choosing, but I think she will appreciate the romantic gesture, and have no doubt that she will love the dog all the same. Buying a pup she can bond with it anyways.

Special thanks to sleeping lion! Priceless info, will def take it all into account!

16. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Very good point!

17. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

I think this is a brilliant idea, i would really appreiciate this gesture rather than the surprise pup, but we are all different and you know how your girlfriend will be, good luck in your search for the choc lab.

18. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I think you may have missed the point. You will NEVER get a puppy from a reputable breeder this way. They simply will not sell one to you as a present for someone else, they will want to meet them and get to know them before they allow one of their puppies to go.

This means you will be left with back yard breeders, puppy farmers and pet shops. None of these will have health tested their puppies and unfortunately, due to their popularity, chocolate labradors are byb and puppy farmers favourites - they make a mint. Sadly, I also know so many chocolate labradors that have come from such places with real health problems.

19. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Sorry Sleeping Lion - I just realised my mistake - I think I must have seen the name in your signature photo and assumed it was your name :blush2::blush:

20. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Speaking as a woman i would appreciate the romantic gesture just as much if you had done all the hard work and found some fantastic, healthy pups from a great breeder and suprised me on the day we were going to view them as if you turned up with it in your arms ;)

Also it would give her the chance to go and buy all the bits and bobs you will need and read up a bit about what to expect.

Puppies are wonderful but they are WAAAAY harder than having babies in the first few weeks so if you think they are the easier option of the 2 you might be in for a bit of a shock ;) :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice