Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where should my puppy sleep

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jilldaniel, May 14, 2010.

1. jilldaniel

jilldaniel PetForums Junior

Hi

I hope you can help me, we've just taken home a 9 month old puppy who's last owners couldnt look after him. He's such a good dog, but has been very clingy with me (doesnt want to go to any other family members) which is understandable. The problem we have is at night time. In his last house he was used to sleeping alone in the living room, with the door closed, they also did this when they left him during the day. As he is still "marking" around the house and as we have cats and a brand new carpet in our bedroom(!) I thought I'd continue with this. The first night he cried for 5 minutes, I went in and he'd wee'd on the floor, so I slept that night on the settee. The second night (following advice from various dog owner friends) we left him alone, he barked and scratched the door a lot that night but no accidents, the second night was worse, lots and lots of barking and crying and 2 accidents.

I feel very sorry for him and feel guilty for leaving him, our friends say keep going with this and in a week or so he'll be fine. I really don't want him in our bedroom as this is where the cats sleep and they havent made friends yet. He follows me everywhere and even cried when left with the rest of the family for an hour last night (he wee'd on the carpet too when i was out).

I would be so grateful for your advice, I don't want to send the wrong message to him by changing what we're doing, but I want to get things right for him.

Thank you

Jill

2. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

persever and be consistent , whatever you do, my youngest Brandi used to cry if alone, and took a while to settle to using her crate, but after a few weeks she accepted it , infact she goes in by herself if i say bed, she also used to have a problem with accidents, bt this doesnt happen if she sleeps in the crate, so maybe try getting him used to one in the day when your around.

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I was going to suggest introducing a crate. That way he should have more insentive to keep clean plus he doesnt have to be shut away from the rest of the household.

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'd also sugest using a crate.

I personally don't like to hear puppies crying and getting distressed - I never let my kids cry them selves to sleep - I had my puppies crates in my room, if they got stressd I could reassure them, if they woke I could take them straight out to the toilet no eye contact, no talking and no fussing, as soon as they've been it's straight back into the crate.
    Once they were settling with out any help from me and going through the night with out needing the toilet I moved the crate from next to my bed to the foot of my bed where they couldn't see me, as soo as they were happy with this I moved the crate into the landing, then bottom of the stairs then into the lounge.
    They now sleep in the lounge with out a problem.

I know he's 9 months but as he's new to you I would train him the same way as a new buppy for toileting and sleeping.
    I'd have the crate downstairs during the day so he gets used to it - give him his dinner in it put lovely tous in it - reward him for going in etc until he's really comfortable - also a blanket over the top wakes it more cosy.

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I'm with Fleur on this one. I would suggest maybe the cats sleep downstairs for a short while until he is settled through the night and then put things back the way you want them.
    Within reason you can do whatever you want without involving distress or upset to them. I'm not against a firm hand but I think you get more respect by the slowly, slowly route.
    Hopefully you will pick our brains and find a suggestion that will help x

6. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

having reread my post i just want to add that brandi was never left to cry, as weve always put her and yogi to bed together , in the same room, and shes quite happy that way, she used to cry if yogi was taken out on his solo walk , but she doesnt do that anymore ( she also gets solo walks , its important for them both to have 1 on 1 time )
    the settling to her crate was a seperate comment , and she got introduced to it in the normal nice way , and used to use it as her refuge

7. jilldaniel

Thank you very much, I think I may have a crate for tonight so will try what you suggest. Can I ask a couple more questions please:
    Should I start from tonight even though he wont have had a chance to see it round the house/have treats in it etc?
    He is toilet trained so shouldnt need to go out for a wee in the night, so what do i do if he's crying in his crate, do i take him out just incase or just reassure him. Do i get out of bed and give him some attention or just speak to him.
    This all so new to me. I've had dogs before but never puppies. The dogs pretty much slept on our beds, I've never had a dog shut in a room or out of rooms or in crates, but I'm worried because this one is marking/having accidents and we have just changed out bedroom carpet after a visiting dog wee''d on that!
    Jill
    ps Would you also use a crate for when I need to leave him? And if so would i put it downstairs then?

#7 jilldaniel, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. Fleur

I wasn't directing my post at you, I didn't read your post to mean you had left the pup to cry endlessly :) Sorry if my post came across that way.:eek:

- I wasn't very clear in my post on that there are 2 schools of thought, 1 that you should leave pups at night and they'll get used to it, the 2nd that you have them in your room for a while.
    I'm not saying either method is better just that I prefer method 2.

9. Fleur

I would put the crate up as soon as you can and put some treats in it, praise and reward him everytime he goes in - even if it you can only do this over a half hour period before bedtime.
    I had the crate at first next to my bed at first so if they fussed i could reach down and put my fingers through the bars and say 'shhhh' if they wouldn't settle I'd leave my hand there and they would lick my fingers for a while then just rest against them - not saying this works for everydog, but it worked for me, after a few days they never made a peep.

10. jilldaniel

Well that sounds much nicer than letting bark, i'm feeling so guilty!
    When do people stop using crate generally, i guess the idea is to move the crate down to where you want him to sleep and then remove the crate and replace with a bed?
    Also, i'll need to use it when I go out, should I move it downstairs then?

Jill

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Will leave it to the more experienced to answer your questions re the crate. Heidi was already used to one when we got her.

Just wanted to say that she was my first pup in a loooong time and like you, I found it a bit daunting BUT it gets lots easier and you soon learn to believe in your judgement and find you get things right.
    Lots of love x

12. Fleur

Don't feel guilty :) I started off leaving Zipper but was advised by someone to take him to our bedroom and it worked well for us.

I moved my crate downstairs during the day and pups used it as their bed -put his bed inside the crate.
    Some people keep the crates for the life of the dog (which I have - but my dogs are small so the crates don't take up lots of room), but if you don't want to just take the bed out of it and put the crate away once he is settling all night where you want him to sleep.

13. jilldaniel

Well, last night was a success, we decided to have the crate downstairs where he's slept since he arrived, just for consistancy and he cried a little but soon settled down for the night. He started barking at 4.45 and I got up at 5am, thought those days were behind me!!
    Now, we haven't left him during the day yet, should I use the crate for that too? I don't have to leave him often, but should I build the time up? Maybe start with 15 mins??
    Thanks, I really appreciate your advice.

14. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

Jilldaniel,

I would just like to say how comendable it is of you to take this dog in probably without that much notice.

You are trying to get things right and it's not easy. You are doing well and doing the right thing getting advice off people on PF.

I am sure that you and your young one will be very happy and it will all come right. :thumbup:

15. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

also , start the cats introduction , do not delay , he is at the age he needs to start to learn about other animals and the cats need to get used with the pumpkin

16. jilldaniel

Aw, thanks for all your replies, everyone here seems very friendly and I have loads of questions - so that's good!!
    He's really settling down, he's started to be happier with other members of my family but has also started to bark at anyone else entering the house, and sometimes people and bigger dogs when we are out - any ideas???

17. Fleur

Brilliant news :thumbup:- he obviously felt safe and comfy in his crate, makes life easier if you don't have to lug a crate up and down the stairs :D

It's up to you if you want to crate him when you're out - does he chew or toilet when you're not there? I wouldn't crate him if you are out more than 4 hours either.
    I'd invest in a couple of kongs - fill with wetfood or soaked kibble and freeze.
    Leave him in the crate with Kong for 10 mins at first and gradually extend the time.

18. davehyde

davehyde Banned

let him in bed deffo. i let mine in the bed if he wants he loves it. lies there for twenty minutes then hops down onto the floor.

19. jilldaniel

He doesnt chew stuff but he was weeing and pooing around the house when we first got him, i followed him around for a day and caught him once and took him straight outside, he's not done it now for a couple of days.
    I'd be fine with him in bed with us but we have a new carpet in the bedroom! Once we know he's not going to have any accidents we might. Also thinking about a stairgate and he could sleep outside our room, again once we know he's ok.
    Thinking about leaving him for 5 minutes tomorrow morning and buildiing up, if he doesnt make a mess will leave him outside his crate. Really don't want to be using it if we don't have to, didnt really feel we have a choice for night times at the moment.

20. jilldaniel

He slept in our bed last night!!! Got a great nights sleep atlast!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice