Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where should my new puppy sleep?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by gailjo, Nov 5, 2012.

1. gailjo

gailjo PetForums Newbie

Should I crate my puppy in the bedroom or in the kitchen? Which is best for a happy animal please

2. Gertrude

Gertrude PetForums VIP

I put my crate in the kitchen and it worked really well, not a peep all night, tho Meg was 10 weeks old so that might have made a little difference??

If puppy is quite unsettled then I would maybe bring to the bedroom?

3. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

Very much an individual thing I think and depends on what you want and whether you have it in you to do tough love if needed :)

Sam started in the kitchen but then ended up in the bedroom within a day :eek: He is quite happy to sleep downstairs now though and so chooses where he wants to sleep.

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

All of mine where crated in the bedroom over night at first - that way they could be comforted by having me near and if they woke I could take them straight out to the toilet without fuss.
    Once they could 'hold' all night I moved them downstairs to the lounge where they have slept ever since.

I know some people prefer to set the crate up down stairs and sleep on the sofa for a while - but I prefer my bed :)

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It depends on what makes you happiest and whats right for you. With both mine as pups I slept downstairs for the first few weeks as they were not able to go through the night and when they woke or stirred naturally if they needed to toilet it was was much easier to pop them out without the whole house having to wake up.
    Mine still can come upstairs and sleep if they want to even now as adults its something Ive personally always done and Im happy with.

Some people dont want dogs upstairs which is fine if thats what they want. The only thing I would say is decide what you want and what suits you then stick with it, pups need consistency and routine or else it just confuses them. You cant allow a pup to do something for so long and it becomes the normal thing and then expect them to suddenly not do it if you change your mind.

6. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I personally dont crate mine but thats just my choice.

They sleep in our room from night one and they wake me to go out and then back to bed and Ive never had a problem with any of them that way and I get my sleep;)

7. gailjo

gailjo PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your advice. Moli slept in our room last night in a crate. She went into it willingly, lay down and we heard not a peep from her all night. That was our first full nights sleep in over a week. Bliss. I think that is where she will be sleeping from now on :)

8. mrsaxlrose

mrsaxlrose PetForums Member

I was full of good intentions but when it came to bedtime I carried her straight up the stairs and put her in bed with me.:D

9. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

with our current 3 we always put them in the bedroom, younger 2 in crates, oder one not. We are having a bit of a change around now so new pup will be in living room in a crate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice