Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where should kittens sleep?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Poppy24, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Poppy24

Poppy24 PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I recently got a new 8 week old (although vet thinks she is younger) kitten a week ago. Every night since I got her I have let her sleep in my room with me. (even though I knew from the beginning I definitely wouldn't get through the whole night without her waking me up). I am struggling with being woken up by her playing with my hands and arms (one of my arms is covered in little scratches) or she is chewing my hair. I am happy to let her continue sleeping with me if I could find a way to stop her from playing with me while I am asleep. However, I am also curious is she too young for me to put her in her own room at night. Would I have to slowly transition her into sleeping separately or could I just pick a day to start putting her in a separate room? How would I go about this? If I leave her in a room by herself she starts meowing instantly, it seems she hates to be alone. I don't really know what to do as I would like to get a good nights sleep but I want to do what is best for her!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Poppy24 and welcome :)

She is only a baby and you won't be able to stop her wanting to play with you at some stage in the night. She has been taken from her mum and siblings too young and she is missing them. It would be unkind to leave her on her own at night at present until she is far more settled with you. Once she is a bit older she will sleep quietly with you anyway.

As she is so young she'd probably have coped better if you'd adopted one of her siblings at the same time, so the 2 kitties had each other for company and comfort. But you can help her to settle a bit more easily at bedtime. Enough for you at least get a few hours undisturbed sleep.

For the moment while she is so young, and new to your home, it'll be bit like having a new human baby - you grab some sleep yourself when they are asleep.;)

Before bed:

1/ have a nice vigorous play session with her every night for 40 minutes before bedtime using the fishing rod toys that will get her leaping around using up energy.

2/ Then give her a tasty wet food supper that is high in protein, low in carbs.. She will digest the protein slowly and sleep during the process.

3/ Provide non-noisy toys she can play with by herself in the night. Have a variety of these toys and swap them around them every few nights, putting some away, so she doesn't get bored with them.

4/ As she is so little she needs 4 or 5 meals a day. I would include one in the early morning. Cats are crepuscular, and are at their most active at dawn and dusk. You could either leave a meal in an auto-feeder for her, timed to open before dawn, say at 3.30 am. Or else take some of her wet food to your bedroom at night with a cover over it, and give it to her when she wakes you in the middle of the night.

5/ If you feed dry food, do not do so at bedtime or during the night, because the high carb level will give her peaks of energy and make her active and want to play,. So wet food only at bedtime and during the night, preferably a grain free with no added sugars.

#2 chillminx, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Calvine likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice