Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where dogs sleep

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sam buchanan, Jul 4, 2017.

1. sam buchanan

sam buchanan PetForums Junior

Hi guys

This is going to sound pathetic, but I am quite upset that my 2 dogs seem to have decided that they would rather sleep upstairs in my teenage step daughter's bed at night, than in mine with me. They are 2 years old and have always slept in my bed at night, and I love it - the pack sleeping together. But recently they have both disappeared upstairs around 8pm and sleep with her all night, leaving me on my own. They come down early in the morning all licky and tail waggy, but I have to admit I feel a little hurt by this change in events. I do all the dog walking, feeding everything for them, with no help from my husband or step daughter, so I feel betrayed! I know this is stupid, but I can't help it! Any advice please...

lorilu likes this.
  2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Be glad they're that comfortable with your teenager and enjoy the extra room in the bed :)

3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

That does seem a shame . Mine tend to get in and out of my bed in the night , Id rather they stay in the same place.

sam buchanan likes this.
  4. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

...........and waking up to find you have a dog hair in your mouth or worse according to one very unlucky forum member who posted about an incident this week that is best forgotten!

MiffyMoo, Sairy, LinznMilly and 3 others like this.
  5. sam buchanan

I know there are many advantages to them not sleeping in the bed, but they are 2 tiny chihuahua crosses, so don't really take up much room! I am probably over thinking it, and applying humans emotions to doggie psychology, but I miss them :(

6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Early on our great dane decided she was going to sleep with our daughter. One of my friends quipped that if my daughter had a great dane in the bed with her at least there wouldn't be room for anyone else :D

7. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Are two tiny dogs not a bit venerable to being accidently hurt sleeping in a teenagers bed? I would have thought very small dogs would be safer in their own bed.

Happy Paws2 and sam buchanan like this.
  8. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I remember Jasper as a puppy choosing to sleep downstairs in his crate in a cold room rather than come up to mine where he had a snuggly bed :Arghh even now he sleeps in my mum's room over mine (not that I want him in mine anyway tbh I like my space and non hairy bed!)

Don't take it personally. Maybe your daughter doesn't move around or make as much noise whilst sleeping or something like that. It must be nice to see them all excited to see you in the morning though :)

LinznMilly and sam buchanan like this.
  9. sam buchanan

They are half chihuahua half jack russell, so although small (4kg) they are hardy feisty little buggers! When I said they were tiny, I meant they don't take up the room that a Dane would take!!

kimthecat likes this.
  10. sam buchanan

Thanks PawsOnMe. I am trying not to take it personally. Just can't help wondering what I have done wrong, as this is such a recent development. It isn't the heat, as she sleeps in the loft, which is the hottest room in the house. Oh well, will probably never know, I will, as you say, just be glad to see them in the morning.

11. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Maybe your stepdaughter's bedroom smells better to them (no offence), maybe she doesn't move around as much as you in her sleep.... who knows? They do what they do, it doesn't mean they like you any less.

Edited: Just seen your comment about her having the hottest room in the house....maybe that's the reason?

12. sam buchanan

You are right, I am sure, dogs do what they do, I just got used to me 'appearing' to be the centre of their universe! They are 2 now, they can make their own minds up about sleeping arrangements....ungrateful little shits!! Only joking! :D

Jobeth and Blackadder like this.
  13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I have 2 chihuahuas and 2 chihuahua crosses in my bed most nights and they seem perfectly safe! Despite the fact Im a restless sleeper and have accidently kicked a couple of them out on occasion they are all in one piece!:D

I can sympathise though OP. When I had cats they always slept with my room mate rather then me and it did rather hurt my feelings. The fact was though that I sleep like a tasmanian devil having a fit and she slept like a corpse so obviously her bed was more comfy and I had to just grin and bear it!:Shy

14. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I'd feel the same. Going on holiday with my parents means my yorkie follows my dad everywhere. My Lhasa/poodle is more 'loyal' and stays with me. If my nephew and niece come for a sleep over they spend the night in their rooms (although if both are there at the same time they choose my niece), although he at least comes back to me in the morning.

lorilu and sam buchanan like this.
  15. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

There's one simple rule you absolutely must stick to. When you've got puppies it's absolutely essential to get them into routine regarding where they sleep. They might be adorable, cute and vulnerable right now, and sleeping in your bed, or even your kids bed, might seem pleasant and nice. However, do you really want to continue this for the next fifteen years or more? It's a lifetime commitment that's hard to break. Our first dog as a married couple slept on the bed until the kids came along. Getting him to move off was very heartbreaking as it was his routine and he loved it. But we had to do it and wished we hadn't started the routine. So when he sadly passed and we got our current two, both now ten and eight, I insisted from the off they weren't even allowed upstairs let alone sleep on the bed. It was far better for everyone from the off and I've never slept better. That lasted less than a month and somehow they've slept on the bed ever since. Moral of the story, enjoy the bed space whilst you have it!

Edit
    When we got new sofas they weren't allowed on those either :rolleyes:

#15 Dr Pepper, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  16. sam buchanan

:D:D I too was very strict with the sleeping arrangements for my dogs - they must absolutely sleep with me on my bed! They are breaking the rules - unacceptable!!

17. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

@sam buchanan Perhaps she has treats stashed up there. Or they've just felt like a change. Maybe they had a nap up there one day, liked it and have just continued the habit. They'll probably be back to you. But I know how you feel. I love my cats sleeping with me. Two always do, but one sometimes goes off and sleeps somewhere else and I just miss her presence in the bed. I'd probably feel even worse if she were sleeping with another human. Thankfully, there aren't any other humans lol

sam buchanan likes this.
  18. sam buchanan

checked the food-treats thing...nothing...she is too lazy to engineer that anyway! I think you are right, if they were sleeping in another place that would be one thing, but they are choosing to sleep with another human...:(

19. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If it helps I have spent nearly 2 years rehabilitating my chi Cleo when I first got her.. lots of treats to help her settle, finally got her to enjoy going on a walk and she only had eyes for my OH and spends all her time waiting on him if she's 'not required' upstairs away from me. On an evening she's sat all over my OH snuggled up happy as Larry, whilst he sits with her, stroking her like a Bond villian..

The story doesnt end just there though...to his horror she decided my son who has now finally finished uni was far more important in the past 9 months, so when he came home on termly visitors, she ditched my OH to sit with him...my OH called her all the name under the sun but mainly traitor!

Dogs are funny creatures!

LinznMilly likes this.
  20. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

Just a thought that might seem odd but have they decided that she is more vulnerable than you and needs to be 'protected' ? I know it may sound odd but large or small a dog is a pack animal with a history going back to the wolf - perhaps they have [in their own way] labeled her the 'pup' of the pack and thus needs guarding. But it may well be just that her bedroom is warmer:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice