Where does your dog sleep??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MaggiesMom, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MaggiesMom

MaggiesMom PetForums Senior

OK so forgive me if I sound like a weirdo but I need to get something off my chest and figured I'd use you guys as a sounding board.

Maggie always sleeps downstairs on her bed or the sofa, whichever she choses. But lately I've begun to worry about this. If someone were to break in I'm now concerned she'd be stolen or just get out. Our front door opens straight into the living room you see. Hubby doesn't want her in our bed but I think I need to persuade him she'd be better off on the landing in her bed or the spare room which is next to ours.
    Am I right to worry or am I just over thinking this?
    I do suffer with anxiety and my brain is prone to going into over drive over daft things so feel free to tell me if im being a wally!

2. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

My dogs sleep downstairs.

One in the hallway, one in the lounge and two in the kitchen.

Hand on heart, the thought of 'what if someone broke in' has never ever entered my head!

ouesi and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Home redistribution system

If it stops you worrying, and get some sleep, then have her on the landing or in the spare room, you worrying all the time is not going to help you in the long run.
    Isla sleeps downstairs in the kitchen/diner which has a patio door leading into the garden. I suppose if someone managed to break in through that the resultant noise would scare her and make her jump over the stair gate and upstairs to find us.
    My last dog slept upstairs in the bedroom which I liked as I could hear her gently breathing during the night which I found comforting. Although she was a GR as well, she was a small one and usually slept curled up in her bed. Isla is so much bigger and bulges out of the same bed, so I've not wanted her up in the bedroom particularly as I'm bound to fall over her during my nocturnal wonderings to the loo, but I miss that gentle, steady breathing. (Mr S snores by the way, it's not the same):D

4. bowwowwoof

bowwowwoof PetForums Junior

I think you're just overthinking it. The chances of being broken into and something like that happening during the night are very very slim. Even if you live in a bad area the likelihood is still probably not worth considering IMO. I do agree that if it is stressing you out then moving her just for your own sake would be good.

My dog sleeps in my bed normally at night.

#4 bowwowwoof, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. Zaros

Zaros Pet forums Resident Evil

They sleep where ever they choose to sleep. Be that outside, night or day.

Oscar has a nightly ritual of sleeping on our bed with us for an hour or so before he finally gets too hot and has to go back outside to cool down.

No fear of him being stolen, he weighs 80 plus kilos.:D

6. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

For the first 2 years Axel would sleep in his crate in the living room. After the relationship with my now ex fell apart and he moved out, Axel started sleeping in bed with me. More for my own need than anything else. When I was dating someone, he would sleep in his crate if the guy stayed over. If I was to move on with a new guy, Axel would be sleeping in his crate again.

7. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

I fear of the same stuff! Or having a fire and the dogs are trapped downstairs without us.

They sleep in our room, in their own beds, apart from bugger pants who sneaks himself on the bed as soon as I turn the light off :rolleyes:

I know it sounds crazy - but if we die in a fire, we will all go together ....

Lurcherlad and bowwowwoof like this.
  8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Downstairs here too. If someone broke in, I suspect he would hide and come out later. Do you think your home is at risk? If so, can you fit more bolts or similar? If not, maybe having her close would help you feel less anxious even if the risk of a break in is low.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Crated in my room. I want to be able to hear them if they're sick or have a problem during the night.

10. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My two sleep on the bed, although if they get hot or squished they get off and sleep on their beds at the end of our bed, I have tried and still sometimes try to shut them out of the bedroom, but my anxieties get the better of me and I let them back in, my anxieties stem from my old dog waking me up when she bloated, and although she didn't make it the second time it happened, she did have a small chance but if she'd been shut in the kitchen she wouldn't have stood any chance and wouldn't have survived the first time, but I worry even though there is only a baby gate between us so I'm probably not the best to calm others anxieties :D

11. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums VIP

Little cow of a Springer has somehow weedled her way onto our bed every night. We're in a bungalow so no stairs for a barrier. Think were just to soft. Although when we had stairs it wasn't a issue. Old Lab is happy on his bed in living room.

#11 Dr Pepper, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  12. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Mine sleep in my bedroom . They prefer it and so do i .
    If Maggie prefers downstairs then perhaps you could put more bolts on the front door.

13. MaggiesMom

MaggiesMom PetForums Senior

Sorry didn't mean to cause anyone fresh worries! :eek:
    I'm sure it's unlikely (touch wood) but it's obviously something that's manifested in my brain for some reason.
    She can get straight up the stairs to us if she needed to (and has done when shes been ill and needed to go outside) but I just don't know if she would if there was trouble.
    Maybe I'll just sneak her bed onto the landing and see if she takes to it ;)

14. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Sara either sleeps downstairs, where she can have her bed but normally chooses he sofas, or with us on our bed.
    Fidget either has the landing and kitchen, or is in with us if he's fallen asleep on our bed before we go to bed.

I've never worried about break ins. Sara has proven that she will bark if she's worried, and Fidget barks whether there's something there or not!

15. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My dogs always slept downstairs until we got Ludo and he was a right royal pain.
    Now they sleep in their crates in our bedroom.
    Although I was perfectly happy with the dogs being downstairs I like having them up with us, if they are poorly or need a wee i'm right there.
    They need to be crated or they would be up on the bed and i'd rather not have them in the bed.

16. icklemunch

icklemunch PetForums Senior

In my bedroom either on my bed or the sofa bed. Usually the sofa bed as i am a right fidget!

I too worry about things like fire's, being broken into etc to the point my bunnies also sleep upstairs with us too (in the spare room)

kare likes this.
  17. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Mont sleeps on my bed.
    If he changes his mind he has a bed in our room too.

He prefers to be with his people, day or night. I like it too, hubby is away during the week and Mont's snores are much quieter :)

MaggiesMom and SusieRainbow like this.
  18. Bigdogswinmyheart

Bigdogswinmyheart PetForums Member

Our hound has a memory foam mattress 6" deep 5foot wide and 4foot deep in the alcove under the stairs, the hall stairs and landing when we are in bed. Even if the bedroom doors are open, she needs to see the exits of the house so will not go into our rooms or our the beds. She has a huge matt/bed in the front room she uses when she wants to, but mostly likes the bare floors to lie on

19. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

falcor sleeps in my bed,for which the neighbours thank me
    foglia sleeps wherever she wants, normally in my room, sometimes on my bed most times on hers as she gets too hot, sometimes she refuses to come upstairs when i say bedtime and sleeps downstairs with Thunder
    Thunder has never been allowed upstairs, I have a thing about big dogs and stairs. When younger she used to be in her crate, but now she has whichever of the sofas she picks, normally the one with the warmest throw on it

20. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Tango and Reena sleep in a puppy pen in the bedroom, I like them in earshot. They have a cot quilt each to burrow under.