Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where does your dog sit in the car?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by FeelTheBern, May 31, 2017.

1. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

I'm just wondering. Are there any regulations as to having dogs seated in the front of a car?

2. Mercgirl

Mercgirl PetForums Member

As two of our three cars are two seater convertibles, Wookie has to sit in the front sometimes. She has a harness, and we disable the passenger side airbag, as they can cause serious injuries to dogs in the event of a crash.

If all three of us are out in one of the SLK's, she shares my seat, attached to my seat belt with a clip and harness. Again, the air bag will be disabled.

3. Catharinem

Catharinem PetForums VIP

Don't disable the airbag where you are sitting. Serious injuries or death can happen to people too, hence why airbags are necessary.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Airbags have to be disabled when children are traveling in cars in the front seat in car seats.

Picklelily likes this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I think the law is vague...am sure someone will state it...and I guess can be open to interpretation but I something along the long lines as not being able to distract the driver is one point, I cannot remember the other. Sorry am half heartedly awake at 3:30am

Sairy likes this.
  6. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I don't they they can be loose in the body of the car, but as long as seatbelted then I don't think there are any other restrictions.

7. sesmo

sesmo PetForums Senior

I've just looked it up as I was discussing it with my Dad the other day:

"Rule 57 of the Highway Code deals with travelling with pets and states:

“When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.”

So not exactly against the law, but if you were to be in an accident and the cause was judged to be the dog (or other animal) distracting you then you would face stiffer penalties. From the same site:

Potential Offences

"Whilst breaching the Highway Code is not necessarily an offence in itself, there are a number of offences that could potentially arise as result of driving with an unrestrained pet. A motorist could be considered to be driving ‘without due care and attention’ if it was felt that their standard of driving fell below that expected of a competent driver or that they did not show “reasonable” consideration for other road users. There is no definitive list of actions that can amount to careless driving however a distracting unrestrained dog jumping about in a vehicle could definitely be considered to sufficient.

More concerning is the potential for an accident and if that were to arise, the more serious offence of dangerous driving could be applicable. The penalty for dangerous driving is far more severe as the offence attracts not only a custodial sentence but also a mandatory disqualification of at least twelve months."

Obie used to be quite happy on the front seat in a harness and seat belt restraint, he's decided he doesn't like it and as it's usually just me and him in the car, he now goes in a crate on the back seat. He's safe, I'm safe.

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack goes on the back seat in a harness attached by a strap to a buckled seatbelt, for his safety and mine. Anyone (or dog) loose in the back could seriously injure anyone in the front in an accident.

Not all cars have airbags, so disabling for specific journeys (for a child or if a dog has to travel on a lap) I would think is up to the individual?

WillowT and kimthecat like this.
  9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

When we had a car Dillon had the back seat to himself wearing a harness attached to a seat beat.

I thought air bags should only be disabled if a backward facing baby seat is used.

10. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

There is no law regarding the geographical location of your dog in the car.

Rule 57 of the Highway Coded states:

“When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.”

Of course this is not law but just best practice however driver could be considered to be driving ‘without due care and attention’ in the event of an accident and insurance could be invalidated if it was felt that one of the factors in an accident was distraction

If you are going to travel with a dog in the front seat, unless it is a giant breed, then you need to disable the airbag the same way you would for a small child.

The dog should also be in a car harness (not one for walking)

Personally I consider the front seat of the car one of the worst places to put a dog for several reasons but then I prefer mine in their bespoke car crate as far away from me as possible

I prefer children to be in the back seat too, it is safer.

Lurcherlad and DaisyBluebell like this.
  11. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Daisy & Scampi before her always travelled in a VariKennel on the back seat behind the front passenger seat which is as far back as it can go so it would not move in an accident. Emma when she comes to me will do the same. My dogs are as precious to me as most peoples children (more so it seems sometimes when I see youngsters in cars without any restraints) & I could never live with myself if ever in an accident & my dog was sent flying through the windscreen to its death.

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My two have a hammock in the back though Candy sometimes travels under it in the floor well on long journeys. My other dogs have always been behind a dog guard but I prefer to have the boot available for my shopping (often large bags of horse feed) and give the dogs the back seat. How do you disable an air bag, I had no idea you could.

13. Jayne and sammy senorita

Jayne and sammy senorita Jayne, sammy and connie

We have two cars that are old two seater convertables (mx5) no air bag to worry about!. I use the harness that clips into the seat belt clip. She still sticks her head down as we going along but getting braver! Rhody our old boy used to love it I made sure we had a last ride together.

14. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Mine both have dog car seats. They are kept in place with a harness.

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Ziggy used to ride on the front seat in a harness clipped to an arrangement of webbing straps I'd made to the backrest, but now she and the other 3 are in crates in the back.

16. Mercgirl

Mercgirl PetForums Member

In the Seat Wookie has the back seat to herself, but is still restrained with her harness and seat belt clip. It is recommended to disable the air bag if a dog has to be seated in the front, as the force of an air bag deploying can seriously injure, even kill, a small dog.

All cars can have the front passenger seat air bags disabled. Our two Mercs are 16 years old, the Seat is only 3 years old, but all three have that facility.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

My car is so small the only place both dogs can go is on the back seat.

Their harnesses are attached to short leads which are attached to the centre seat belt.

The short leads are long enough to allow them to sit or lie down in comfort but are not long enough to allow them to move onto the front seat or jump out of the car. When we're travelling they normally sleep and only wake up when we arrive at our destination.

18. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Bonnie is on the back seats with a harness on, we have a hammock set up so if she is really wet or muddy she can hop in

19. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

I tend to have the dog in front footwell. When transporting dogs, the passenger seat is occupied so the dog can't jump onto the seat and cause a distraction. Is this safe?

20. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Our dogs sit in the back. A bulk head and headache rack, is fixed directly behind the front seats which prevents either dog from entering the driver/passenger space.

Of course, Oscar is quite welcome to sit up front and ride shotgun with me, but I doubt we'd get very far at all.:Facepalm

Magyarmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice