Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

where do your puppies sleep at night?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ButterflyBlue, May 4, 2010.

1. ButterflyBlue

ButterflyBlue PetForums Senior

put mine in his crate last night and he didnt like it much! he was whining a long time! then he quietened down for an hour or two but started up again. any advice?! :lol:

2. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

Ignore, ignore, ignore. If you absolutely have to go to him, make sure you do so when he quiets down.

I keep mine in crates during the night, and they are pretty good about it, but this is how they have been since day one here. They do not whine during the night, but they know what time we wake up during the week, so they will start whining to get out around 8am.

3. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

I have never used a crate, mine stay in the kitchen, but it is normal for a puppy to cry for a few days, hes missing his mum and brothers and sisters. Its very hard but try and ignore him otherwise you will never have a good night sleep again, go down and reassure him if he gets very distressed.
    Good luck i went through this recently but it was only for a few days.

4. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I've always put mine in the kitchen with a baby gate in place so they can't get into the main room. When we had the litter, they were in the living room, firstly in a puppy pen, then they went into a huge crate until they left us. When it was just the two little girls that I was deciding between left here, I used the smaller crate and still kept the mum in the living room with them but she had the settee to sleep on ;)

Then at 12 weeks old, Tipsy our pup, went into the kitchen with the adults at night. Never had a problem with crying or barking and she was already toilet trained.

I don't use crates at night for any of them, never have but that's only because they don't need it.

5. Ice-Cold

Ice-Cold PetForums Newbie

Awhh, when i got my dog he always slept in the middle room at night. they where nothing for him to detroy in there :L but when i did put him in there he would cry the house down!
    and well then he decided to chew through the door so we let up on him, he sleeps where ever he wants now though :] he's very well behaved ^-^

6. ButterflyBlue

funnily enough since i gave my puppy his kong he hasn't bothered chewing anything else, he loves bouncing it everywhere in the middle of the night :lol:

he is settling in well, today i left him in his crate for an hour with some chew toys and he quietened down after whining for 5 mins so i'm sure we shall get there eventually :thumbup:

looking forward to taking him to his puppy classes when he gets his jabs done :thumbup: gonna be fun!

7. Mama Sass

Mama Sass PetForums Senior

Did you get him used to the crate first before you put him in for the night? I think we expected too much of Basil and just thought he would instantly like his crate and he didn't! I guess he just needed to be taught that it was a good place to be.

So I put him in it through the day whenever he was sleepy as well as at night - he soon began to associate the crate with sleep time. I did this on and off all day for about three days and yes, he whined a few times. But as others have said, DO NOT give in.

Basil settled much better once I put him it during the day as well as night. If he did whine, I reassured him by walking past the crate so he could see I was still around, and at night I would just cough or turn over so he knew I was there. (We moved his crate to the bedroom when he just wouldn't settle in the kitchen. He now sleeps in his crate on the landing).

To get him used to the crate, I chucked treats in there and let him go in and get them. He also had some vet bed, a soft toy and stuffed kong occasionally.

I think it is definitely worth persevering with if you can...it only took a few days to get Basil used to it and he goes in there no probs now.

Hope this helps...

:)

8. ButterflyBlue

oooooh ok i see what you mean now! well i have put loads of stuffed toys in his crate and i put his kong in there (no food in tho) with two of his favourite toys and he likes being in there as long as the door is open. i shall definitely carry on. so far he has been ok, he has been able to spend about an hour in there and be totally quiet - im going to associate him with the crate only when he is sleepy now, thanks for the idea!

9. Cheesywotsit

Cheesywotsit PetForums Member

Strange as it sounds our pup likes to sleep in the shoe cupboard under the stairs! When we first got him he would sleep in his crate with his nice cosy bed but no he didn't like it one bit and if we ever went out and left him in the kitchen with his crate door open , we would always find him snuggled up in the shoe cupboard ! And that's just how he likes it ! We have got rid of the crate and put a soft mattress like bed in the cupboard for him and that's where he sleeps and relaxes, no whining just happy and content . If he's happy with it then we are :)

10. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I'm naughty and mine sleep on my bed...well it's not really naughty, just not everone agrees with it but they're ok, they behave they are well trained, they just like sleeping with me :) xx

11. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

I never used a crate for Sonny. When he was a young pup he used to sleep in the hall and I was really lucky as he was always really good at night. Now he sleeps in the living room (he can open the living room door) but has run of the house (apart from the bedrooms) as he can open the doors if he wants too. He usually just sleeps on the chair in the living room though.

12. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Bella sleeps in her crate at night downstairs and is as good as gold. First few nights she was in the kitchen in the crate but whined so I moved it to living room and since that night she has slept through no probs. She takes herself to bed if she is tired now and when we go up to bed we just say goodnight bella and she goes and opens the door and snuggles down :thumbup:

13. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

I don't like crates as a personal preference so when my dog was a pup I tried a crate for the first night (whined all night long) which I couldn't bear and from there on he slept in the kitchen with everything that could make him content and comfortable (I didn't hear a peep) When he was house trainned he was allowed to come upstairs and sleep at the end of my bed or on the floor and that is where he makes his way each night or waits for the door to be opened now years later :)

14. ButterflyBlue

I decided to heed to the advice that someone gave me on here - just wait for him to fall asleep and then pop him in the crate! did that and hey presto... 2 hours later he is still sleeping and not a peep from him :thumbup:

hopefully in the night he will be ok! i let him out about three times yesterday for the toilet because he ate two dinners as his breeder only fed him once when i went to pick him up at lunch time and we had a long journey

15. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

spent £160 on an xxl crate with orthopeadic foam bed for inside and where does Shorty sleep? On the laminate floor beside it! :lol:

She will go in the crate and sit with a toy but refuses point blank to sleep in it

16. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Oscar has always slept in his crate at night, We had a little bit of whining the first couple of nights but he was well used to his crate when we got him because the breeder used one.

He knows it's his bed and runs to it and opens the dorr and sits waiting for his bedtime treat after his last wee at night now :)

The key with a crate is to gradually introduce it as a nice place to be and make sure "good things" happen in there like food, treats, stuffed kongs etc :thumbup:

17. lula

lula PetForums Junior

We have turned the cupboard under our stairs in the lounge into Amber's boudoir - she loves it. She has nice comfy bed complete with toy dog from Ikea to cuddle up to, blankets and a pillow (yeah, I know she's not human!), she has her water bowl over the other side, along with polythene and paper on the floor if she needs to pee and I don't get to her in time.

First two nights woke me whining, took her out for a pee, didn't speak to her or make a fuss and took her straight back to bed - less than 5mins whining each time and she now knows when it's sleeptime.

Last night she slept through til 6.30am which was ace :thumbup:

Starlite - isn't that just bloody typical :scared::lol:

Louise xXx

18. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

both dogs sleep in the kitchen. skye in her bed (though she prefers the floor) and kody in his crate.

no complaints from either of them :)

19. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Bramble sleeps one floor next to our bed, then at about 2 or 3am he sneaks up on the bed next to me because he thinks OH won't notice......

20. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

usually my 2 younger ones sleep in the kitchen , Brandi has a basket under the table, and Yogi sleeps on the floor, ( Yogi used to use the basket when he was small, and would also happily sleep in the crate if it was in there, but i never shut the door). Kimi prefers to sleep out in her kennel.
    at the moment we have Kimi and the pups in the kitchen , so Brandi is sleeping in the very big crate in the living room , quite happily as long as Yogi is in the room with her, so he's sleeping on the living room floor.
    never have a problem with any of them... but am glad i crate trained the pups when small, as we do have to use it in the awning to keep them safe in the night when we are caravanning, and they will happily go in there anytime now.
    all 3 will quite happily share the kitchen at night , but with 1 week old pups in there it aint a good idea at the moment

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice