Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where do your ancestors hail from?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Melysia, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Melysia

Melysia PetForums Member

After being inspired by "where are all the Welsh people" thread. I thought it would be interesting to talk about where we all originate from.

My sister started to delve into the unknown and uncovered that we come from Welsh and Irish heritage. My personal view in terms of looking VERY far back into family history is that we MUST come from the Nordic/Viking genre if you like. My dad has blue eyes and strawberry blonde hair and pale freckly and my mum has blue eyes/pale(ish) skin brown hair. Actually saying that as my great grandmother was Welsh there is a clash especially with the Irish side. Irish and Welsh, to me seems to pale blue eyes and very dark hair and pale skin (Irish) and olive type skin and brown or darker eyes in Wales.

(My personal view, of course not of everyone blah blah blah)

I'm being purely subjective and non specific in terms of the whole population. (I feel I need to write some sort of disclaimer as this is a public forum to some extent and people take things very much the wrong way. I hope my thread is taken as intended)

Ahhh now that's over what do you think?

2. rona

rona Guest

My mothers side of the family came from Dorset and my fathers are pure Sussex, both places have a similar accent and I have inherited it :(

3. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

well if you want to delve all the way back into your history you will no doubt find that years and years and years ago we all originate from africa so there you go lol. x

4. Melysia

Melysia PetForums Member

lol I see where your coming from but that's a whole different thread altogether.

I'm talking within tracking distance if you like. I was talking Nordic and Viking purely on the ginger/freckly side of things. It's up to you how you interpret things but if your delving into the " we all come from Africa" then that's a VERY big can of worms involving religion etc. I'm just talking purely looks wise and paper trail wise I suppose. For now anyway :D

5. bird

bird PetForums VIP

So far most of my lot come from County Durham, however my niece has had problems with her pregnancy and has had her hemerglobin tested and turns out that one of our ancestors is either greek or asian. Dont ask dont fully understand it myself. So we're hitting the family tree trail again. Looking at my dads side of the family think we shall be focusing on his side down from his dad :D would explain why we all love greece and cyprus but could also explain my hankering for india

6. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

Seeing as my surname is Coyne I believe I am somewhat irish in some way haha :) Can you tell i dont know my history very well :rolleyes:

7. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Strangely I have a bit of a mix, my family roots (on both sides) come from Wales and Ireland. My great grandfather (on my dad's side) was American with some Canadian mixed in.

8. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

My dad is from Liverpool, but my mum is from wales. Along with the rest of the family i 'bother' with.
    I love it here in wales! :D
    Love being welsh! And being able to speak the language x

Chloex

9. Tula

Tula PetForums Member

Germany:crazy: My late fathers Grandparents were the first on that side to live in bricks and mortar. They were travellers in Germany living in camps in a forest. His Grandfather died and his grandmother came to England with her 5 children.

10. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

Mansfield :thumbdown:

umm think im part scottish :thumbsup: apart from that im not to sure

11. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

The Hebrides, Spain and France.

It's very odd :rolleyes:

12. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

I am as Yorkshire as pudding.

My mother's side come from what was the roughest estate in Bradford and my dad's are from what was the roughest estate in Leeds. Generation after generation wi' nowt teken owt!!!

13. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

ivor novello, the d'urbervilles, and colonies in india and africa :D

14. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

im irish/english i do know my irish side have a book about them called fays of the abby theatere(sp its late) but never really looked into it.

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I must have missed the Welsh thread.

As far as I'm aware my family are Welsh. We've been able to go back 5 generations but who knows what's in there.

16. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Mum Cornish her parents were cornish. Dad Bristolian his dad is from bristol aswell but his mum is spanish gpysy.

17. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Scottish, parents are Scottish, 3 grandparent were Scottish, the other one was English, 6 great grandparents were Scottish.

Terri

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice