Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where do you keep your kittens?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by malibu, May 13, 2010.

1. malibu

malibu Guest

I am completely at a loss as to where to keep the kittens once they are born, we have a nestng box in the spare bedroom and also in the cubyhole where Tia likes to go, but I'm worried about them staying in there due to the celler being open (there is no door leading to it, just stairs which I don't want them to fall down), and in the spare bedroom, we would have to keep the door shut to stop them falling down the normal stairs. Shall I just keep a spare litter tray in there with a bit of litter for Tia (her normal litter tray is at the bottom of the celler stairs) as well as her food or can you suggest anything else? thanks x

2. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

I bought a extra large crate and put it in the kitchen with the door ajar so mum can come in and out when she pleases. At the moment they are only 2 days old so I have them the windowcill out of the way of my jack russell hes a bit inquestive of them, up there shes safe and out of the way x

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I stay in the lounge for a week before the birth with mum in her nesting box, just a massive cardboard box with lots of towels and newspaper down first as she does like to have a good dig about!

she is separated from the other cats a week to go not to stress her out, plus she gets all my attention and lots of belly rubs, always cries if I leave the room which I hate :(
    Then I sleep in the lounge for a further 2-3weeks after the birth with mum to make sure things are OK and I just love sleeping next to them! I have everything by my side for weighing and cimicat on hand with bottles just incase, paper towels mums food & water right by her side with litter tray the other!

Then she goes into her nursery room (the old second bedroom!) a giant great dane crate make up the 'den' for her,door s always open for her to trot around th bedroom for abreak!!

From 6 weeks the kits start coming downstairs after the are litter trained & old enough, but always sleep back upstairs after as I cant keep a eye on them when Im in bed!!

Hope this helps a bit! :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice