Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where do you buy your cat food?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kidsandcats, Aug 11, 2009.

1. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi Everyone

Just reading all the posts on here about wet vs dry and raw versus cooked and my head is aching lol!

But, what I do want to do now is make sure the choice I choose for my new kittens is the best quality but without bankrupting me. I just wondered if you lovely ladies could share where you buy your food and how much it is. Was thinking I could buy in bulk online. Although Shelley who runs our post office store with a little pet supply outlet will be most upset. I am going to ask her if she can get hold of Hi-life and Applaws etc though so I will be comparing prices and she is quite competitive so who knows.

Thanks for all your valuable advice. So glad I joined this forum. I have learnt so many things which I am sure will make me a better slave!

Sharon
    x

2. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

We buy the cats dry food from Burns online. They're usually very quick to deliver and we get treats for the dog from them too. They HATE their wet food.

They get Whiskas Senior (13yrs old) pouches courtesy of Sainsburys.

3. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Tesco (Hilife), Pets at Home (kitten). Zooplus & Pets and Home and freebies for dry foods atm.

4. LadyRedLainey

LadyRedLainey PetForums VIP

Purely wet & dry food from pets at home

5. Kat28

Kat28 PetForums VIP

My dry food comes from vets but that is because they are on a special diet due to kidney troubles. The wet food comes from asda as they will only eat whiskas

6. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

I buy all my cat food from Pet Food Supplies & Accessories at Pet Supermarket which I found is cheaper that Pet Supplies, Pet Food, and Pet Products on Sale Now at zooplus.co.uk

7. LKelly

LKelly PetForums Junior

PetPlanet are now selling Orijen, my friend gets it delivered every month ;)

It gets quite a good name from what I've read on the forums.

8. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Pets at home :thumbup1:

9. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I buy my food from North West Pet Supplies.

They are based in Blackpool but will deliver pretty much anywhere.

They deliver me a huge supply of food and litter once a month and delivery is free!

It's pretty good value especially when buying the large breeder packs as I do.

10. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

The shop.... :D :D

biccis from zooplus & wet from tesco or sains :)

12. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Bozita from Zooplus; Butchers Classic from Sainsbury or Asda; raw from any supermarket and now Food4Cats.

Origen dry from Zooplus

13. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

get my dry JWB from cat shows. raw supermarket / butcher. wet pets @ home, supermarket

14. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I buy my food from the grocery store i work at as i get a discount.

They get a dried holistic food and wet food from lick your chops - it costs me an arm and a leg but its the only good food avvaible at the moment.

15. kidsandcats

Thanks guys. I stumbled across the website food-4-cats and posted separately about this to see who would recommend them. I have also found some recipes to make raw food at home. My husband thinks I am mad, I was busy enough with my human babies making all their baby food when they were young so it looks as though I am about to start again with my furbabies. It's not that he disagrees with the raw diet, he actually thinks it's good and that is what they naturally eat so why not. It's just that my life is busy enough and it's only going to get busier. I am sure I will get into a routine though!

I think what I will do is wean the kittens off of Felix and Whiskas by switching to Hi-Life and Natures Menu as they have 60-70% meat content and then gradually wean them onto a raw diet. I think I will try ordering from Food-4-cats initially and if they enjoy it then invest in a decent grinder and start making it myself. I don't want to pay out for all the equipment to find the cats don't like raw anyway!

Thanks again
    Sharon
    x

16. I buy Arden grange Dry food for my cats & my dog. I did buy it from berriewoods wholesaler online but now buy from Dog Food, Cat Food | Pet Supplies as it is a little cheaper as you get free delivery if you spend over £50 plus earn points on the items you buy for money off your next order

17. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

Select gold dry food and Science plan wet food (or Gourmet pate cat food) from any pet superstore for a more reasonable bargain (and for select gold - really great dry food)

18. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

19. CATastrophe

CATastrophe PetForums Junior

Applaws dry is very good quality - but unfortunately even my very greedy Asian boy won't eat it because it STINKS! It literally stinks vile... I have found a better dry alternative Bozita kitten or Orijen - both smell appetising and go down a treat with both my Asian boy and Bengal girl.

On the wet food front, both my cats love the Bozita cartons - they're fantastic value too at about 98p per 370g carton, so they have one a day which is more than enough food and it's very high meat content and no cereals.

I buy all my cat/kitten food from Zooplus. It's great value because if you spend over £70 you get 5% off - you also collect ipoint, and this month alon I have accumulated 2000 ipoints, entitling me to a £10 voucher from Zooplus... bargain!

However, in todays climate, some high protein content foods are very expensive - but if you look around on this site you will find a great blog about Butchers Classic Cat food. It contains no cereals etc etc and is about 33p for 400g tin - fantastic value for money, great food and much cheaper and better than whiskers and felix.

20. kidsandcats

Thanks for the links I shall definately have a look into this!

Sharon
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice