Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where do the pedigree names come from?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kayz, Jul 27, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Just wondering how people choose their puppies pedigree name. I think that I read somewhere the name of the kennel is in the name, but the rest is just random.

My Mums Leonberger has Jelly Roll his is name as his mum has All That Jazz in her name and all the pups were given names to do with Jazz singers.

Do you pick a theme before they are born or wait to see what they look like?

2. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

It has been years since we had our ped collies so I cannot remember! I was young then hehe
    My OH's cavvy has BorderRose from the breeder and they picked Sweetpea for the rest.

3. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I got to chose puppies KC name. It will be the breeder's kennel name then 'I'm Your Guy'. I think it sounds kind of cheeky but cute at the same time :p Took me ages to come up with it though. When I was looking through a programme at the different names I was wondering how people can come up with some of them.

4. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

We have the kennel name and then the last litter were all elvis songs as the dad was 'Love me tender' but have used racehorse names, perfumes we normally use the first letter of the stud dogs name and then just look in the paper at the racing pages or on here in baby names books etc

5. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

we chose max and daisy...but on their papers there names are....

Cindara Running Water (Max)
    Hilbless Wild Rose (Daisy)

...i would love to know where they came from? :D

6. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Otto is "Gasswater Derby Peak Racer". Gasswater is the kennel name and "Derby Peak Racer" is because he was comming to live with me here in Derbyshire's Peak District.

7. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Sorry to hi-jack thread but can I change the pedigree name?? The breeder has given him the name Sad Sammy but I would like to change it.

x

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Ours all have different names.

Owen is Barnesmore Yesterday- Barnesmore is the breeders kennel name and the litter were named after beatles songs.
    Tegan is Barnesmore Gypsy Rose at Oakmoorehill not sure of the reasoning there
    Bandit is Barnesmore El Bandito a lot of their dogs have names with an association to the wild west.
    Freyja is Barnesmore Killer Queen at Oakmoorehill named after the Queen song
    Holly is Barnesmore Christmas Gift to Oakmoorehill I don'tthink that one needs an explanation
    Angel is Oakmoorehill Spirit of life OH named her that don't know were he got that from
    Amber is Oakmoorehill Sahara Dream she is the colour of the sand in the sahara desert and it is our dream that she will do well at the shows
    Simba is Oakmoorehill Golden Boy because his colour is a golden fawn as is Amber.
    Archie is Highisland The Archer as he was born at the end on november and is a sagurterius
    Jasper is Moonlight Sonata

William is Barnesmore Billy the Kid again the wild west theme
    Button is Bodell Button at Oakmoorehill that was her racing name

Zoe is Casachared Chloe O Galway at Oakmoorehill. Chloe was her mothers name and all her breeders pups had a place in Ireland as part of their name.

People that have booked pups of me before they are born or when they are very young have the chance to pick their own KC names.

9. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

When I was still breeding Pugs I chose the pups names using the first initial of the sire's name. The names themselves mostly came from a great little book called A Dictionary of Faeries by K.M. Briggs. I tried to pick names that could be used as pet names as well.

Mary (Jungho Black Maat) my first Pug was sired by a dog called ? (can't remember) Black Pharoah so all the pups in that litter had Egyptian names. Mary was mated to Ch. Gailyn Bentley so the pup I kept was Mayomere Black Brigit. Brigit's daughter who stayed was Mayomere Black Roane as her father was Ch. Pughill Rory.

My current Pug Arwen was Roane's daughter. She was from the last litter I bred 16 years ago. Her father was Ch. Pandemonium at Poosbury so the male pups were given "P" names. As her father's pet name was Andy, I gave Arwen an "A" name. So she is Ch. Mayomere Arwen Evenstar.

My first Deerhound was a middle aged rescue and we chose to call him Herne. A good name for a Deerhound. With our later Deeries the breeder let us choose the names so we followed through on the legendary character thing. Glassonby Weyland, Glassonby Merlyn etc.

I love choosing names. I've noticed so many lovely dog names on this forum. Obviously other people put as much thought into names as I do.

10. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I didnt choose my Golden retrievers name but hers is Angelic Moonmaiden

I chose one of my cocker pups name

Brooke is Whispering sweet Brooke - The whispering is taken from our late Springer who was called Whisper
    and they called Stream sweet Stream

My nans springer is Rhubarb Crumble lol:p

11. clueless

clueless Banned

I have my kennel name first then mostly Singers Hit Songs LOL

12. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Do you have to check that there isn't another dog with the same name apart from the kennel name?

13. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

You can check on the kennel club website to make sure that name for that breed is not being used

14. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

my affix is tanouki

Noushka is Tanouki Tshenka ......i chose Tshenka cos its the name of a husky from the past.

Shadow is Tanouki Prairie Wolf......Prairie wolf is another name for the Coyote & she reminded me of one.

Indi is Tanouki Black Magic....her dad 'the Sorcerer'...so it seemed fitting.

Nanook is Tanouki Tyger...after another husky from the past.

15. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I have just registered two of mine on the working register..Monty is a cross bred and looks like a mini beardie is Merlins magical mop and the chi is Merlins Mighty Midget I used Merlins because the flyball team i run with is Merlins Magicians

16. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

My older Rottie we lost was called Jagerhoff Boogy Woogy.

17. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

The last litter of labs we had were all herbs and spices as mums kennel name is "Nutmeg". Current litter are going to be named on a Michael Jackson theme as they were born just a few days after he died so we thought it would be fitting!

18. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Henrick is Woodami Prince Henrick (chosen by the breeder)
    Chance was Sovereign of Aarillia (chosen by the breeder)
    Bodger was Bodgeria Brindle Bobbletops Bow (chosen by a 10 year old me:blushing:)

I can see why the breeders don't get 10 year olds to choose the names:rolleyes:.

Bex190 likes this.
  19. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I love Bodger's KC name, genius! Did it ever get called out in public?

20. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Only till I got old enough to realise that the people who were staring weren't doing it cos they were jelous of my dogs clever name:D.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice