Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where did this instinct come from??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by peppapug, Jul 12, 2009.

1. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I seem to have a lot to say all of a sudden!!!

Anyway, i introduced 2 guinea pigs to our home last week. In my home i have 4 chickens that roam around the garden amongst the dogs and cats that also get on well with my dogs.

But, the guinea pigs seem to have caused a stir. My youngest pug had a good sniff and went back to the cage to eat their carrot as expected! My older pug is obsessed. I find it really strange. i always introduce the animals to each other, let them lick and sniff and move on but it seems i have a problem. I am really not convinced she doesnt want to eat them!?!? She runs around their outside run and jumps at them if they move. Given the opportunity to sniff them i am sure she opened her mouth!

Well pugs have very little instinct to chase or kill or do much other than be a lap dog and companion so this has come as a surprise.

Not sure whether to persevere with making them friends or accept she wants to eat them and make them safe????:idea:

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I have resigned myself to the fact that mine need to be kept safe, i think because the guinea pigs are speedy and squeaky they become very tempting to the dogs, even my pup who was introduced to mine at 7 weeks old has not become desensitised to them and will still chase and sad to say i think he would kill them, maybe through excitement rather than 'evilness'!!!:rolleyes::(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice