Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Where did everyone get their bunnies?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by hazyreality, Jul 29, 2009.

?

Where did you get your bunnies from?

Poll closed Aug 12, 2009.
  1. Specific Breeder - only breeds one breed.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Breeder - more than one breed.

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Small Independant Pet Shop

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Large Pet Shop - PAH etc

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Large Rescues - RSPCA etc

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Small Rescues

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Other - this you may need to state!

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I was wondering with talks of rescues etc, where did people get their rabbits from?

Maybe to keep arguments to a minimum, just click the poll, not leave a post? Up to you of course, I cant tell you what to do ;) as much as I would love mind control ;):cool:

*Heidi*

2. umber

umber PetForums VIP

I dont see a poll lol! My 2 came from a rescue!

3. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Jackson was from P@H...I am not fussed where my animals come from really...they all need a home regardless!! :D

4. hazyreality

it was on its way :p you have to post the thread first! you were too quick for me Umber!

*Heidi*

5. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

hmm although I clicked "Breeder - more than one breed" she only had 3 rabbits and I would never go back there for many reasons

6. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I voted other.

One day my neighbour ran screaming into my kicthen because she went to clean her rabbits out and a baby dropped out on the floor. That's how we came about getting Honey and Mustard. Their parents Tiger and Lilly are coming to stay for a week on Friday while their owners go on holiday.

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Other he was my sisters bunny and she wasn't looking after him properly so I took him in. She did get him from PAH though.

8. kelly-m-e

kelly-m-e PetForums Member

I thought id leave a post because I got my bunnies from different places. Ebony I got from a specific breeder of just british giants and sugar was an unwanted pet. A man who was selling a litter of babies also had her and her sister 4 sale as he didn't want them anymore! Then to my suprise she had a litter of 7 babies two weeks after I had her! Now they are 10 days old n just starting to wobble out of the nest to stretch their legs!! :)

9. hazyreality

you can click more than one :p
    could you please click aswell so we can get a fairly good idea of whats most popular.

*Heidi*

10. miss-freak-of-nature

miss-freak-of-nature PetForums Member

I got my Dwarf Lop Buck from a breeder and my Bi Standard Dalmation Spotted Rex from someone in Cardiff who sadly had to get rid of her.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

My four are all rescue bunnies - three from the place where I used to volunteer which has now closed - and the other is on permanent foster from another rescue.

12. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

I may just be being daft but it won't let me vote?!

All rabbits I've had have been rescued from Woodgreen Animal Shelters

13. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

mine were unwanted childrens pets, but my last bun i got from the p@h rescue bit, hed been stuck there because he wasnt selling with the breeder because of his legs, so obviously he was mine!!!!:D

14. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I voted 'other' as both our Nethies came from a local garden centre with a pet shop.:)

15. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i put more than 1 breeder :D
    but my very 1st bun (about 10 years ago) Ash, was from my local pet shop, he was soooo funny he used to play add lol he would come up nudge me then run away then id chase him tap his bum and run away and it would go on for a while lol
    sadly he had to go to my friends to live due to the fact i was living in a masionette and although i had a massive balcony it was way to hot as it was all tar mac and he was in danger of heat stroke.
    he was the best bunny ive ever owned.

16. Kat28

Kat28 PetForums VIP

I got mine from my brother. My nephew has 2 dutch rabbits that they have had a couple of litters from. They have got a waiting list for the babies as they are lovely friendly rabbits.Mine thinks its a dog im sure it does.Alot of my previous rabbits have been from pet shops and i have rescued a couple as well

17. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Well I'm not ashamed to say Pepsi came from a petshop/pet supplies place. they lady tht sold him to us was very thorough in her job, spent quite some time talking to us about him and our house and if we have got a good sized hutch, advising us and letting us hold him to see how he behaves and showing us the correct way to handle and pick him up. She then wrote everything we needed to know on the side of the box carrier (so we didn't loose little bits of paper), including when he should be introduced to veg, how to do it, the need for constant fresh hay, vaccinations, castrations and after 4 weeks of having him the shop gives you a free check up at the local vets.

Also, the vets come to the shop every week and check over each animal and check their welfare. They must have some contract but if it means people take them, the vets can see how the rabbit has been treated.

IMO if a breeder wont sell to someone then they will just go to another breeder and lie or go to a petshop and lie. It's something you just cannot police sadly. You can do a home check, but who is to say that the bunny will always be well kept once the novelty wears off or the owners circumstances change?

Instead of discouraging people from buying from certain places, perhaps they should be educated about keeping pets as I know that we did not expect half of what we have had to do for Pepsi until we went to the shop.

18. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

wow sounds like a great pet shop

I popped in to my local garden center this week that have pets, and was really surprised to see 1 bun with a gooy eye, I told them about it and told them to separate him from his litter mate, and guess what they wiped the eye with their hand then put him back, grrrrrrrrr i was fuming and left

19. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

There are good and bad petshops, just as there are good and bad breeders. It is a minefield and needs regulating by an official body. You can boycott a fantastic petshop like the one I bought from and go to a seriously crap breeder or vice versa! I think to say all petshops are bad etc is a bit much really, that's just MHO

20. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

I got jackson from an ad in the pet shop, free to good home as they novelty had wore off.

He is a large bun and was living in a three ft hutch :(

I got rex from a similer advert as a friend for jackson, owner had two brothers given her but they were fighting and had to be split up, rex and jackson escpaed in the garden together before i had got them castrated and instead of a blood bath it was love at first site, they adore each other and both are now castrated.

Summer and tiffany were offered for sale by someone down sizing, when it turned out one was pregnant i was glad i got them as it would of meant more babies offered on for sale or even taken to a pet shop, i plan to keep all the babies so i feel i did the right thing as they wont be sold on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice