Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

where can I get a harness?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gopher, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

I'm looking for an extra small harness for my little Shi x Chi, he doesn't like the ones that have to go over his head so I'd like one that has 2 fastenings, I've found lots online but it's hard to tell which ones have 2 fastenings and which ones need to go over their head?

I'd like quite a sturdy one with a nice wide breast pad as he's so tiny.......thanks :D

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

15mm Perfect Fit Dog and Cat Harness
    This ones quite nice - you buy the sections so you can buy all xxxs- clips each side so it doesn't have to go over the pups head and nice soft fleece.

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I agree with this - I have one for McKenzie after starting with one that went over her head. Quality is great and when they get bigger you can just buy one piece bigger rather than a whole new harness.

McKenzie had all xxs pieces (the smallest possible) when she weighed 1.7kg. She's now 5.5kg and still has one xxs piece and 2 xs pieces - there is lots of adjustment within the sizes.

Highly recommend :thumbup1:

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I got the one Fleur linked to for Poppy. Measure your dog carefully and double check the sizes of each piece. I ordered what seemed to be the correct one for Poppy and one of the pieces was very snug even when altered to it's largest size. I rang them (they were most helpful) and explained and it was suggested I needed the next size up for that particular piece - the measurement on the website did not correspond exactly with the measurement quoted by the person I spoke to. I was using the largest size on the smaller piece and the smallest size on the piece he recommended covered it and there was room for any further growth (gosh, that sounds like gobbledegook, hope you can understand what I mean :eek:).

They sent me a replacement piece the same day without waiting for me to return the unwanted piece. Excellent customer service.

However, despite it being a lovely harness Poppy wont wear it for walking, she hates it. I can just about get away with walking her to the beach on her flat collar then putting the harness on so she can run around free on the beach, she seems to forget about it then. She refuses to walk back home with it on, she just plonks herself down. I went through all the desensitising with it beforehand but she just doesn't like it when she's aware of it being on. I really want her to wear it as one of the places we take her is some woods but they are private land and insist on dogs being on lead, I want to get a long line so I can attach it to a harness rather than her collar which would not be a good idea if I had to step on it to stop her for any reason.

The plastic clips, even on the smallest size, could possibly be a bit uncomfortable, they are hard and the fleece doesn't come underneath the slide adjusters on the girth strap - check out this one to see what I mean.

You may be lucky and your dog may be happy to wear it, if so I think it would be ideal as nothing goes over the head.

If you do decide to get one I would recommend you take your dog's measurements, have the website open at the appropriate page and ring them up to make sure you are getting the right size, might just save you having to return a piece for exchange.

#4 DirtyGertie, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  5. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

brilliant THANK YOU :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice