Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When's the best time?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by russ, Apr 7, 2011.

1. russ

russ PetForums Junior

Can I ask people on here for some advice?really a bit unsure of what I should do next recent events are new to me of course I've had dogs pass on before but it's always been through old age and we are all feeling the loss I don't want to rush into getting another addition to the house for the wrong reasons of course we would love and care for it but I don't want to "replace" Marco should wait or go and give in to my feelings of loss?how have others handled this?

2. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

You do what makes you feel right.
    When I lost my Jude, I'll admit I went to get her back. I was absolutley heart broken. Just needed something to stop all the heartbreak.
    I didn't get a replacement in the end I got completely what I needed a little boy who, well who mended it again.
    Jude was the first dog I lost suddenly to illness and it hurt what I did was right for me.
    Its a 1 year and a 9 months since I lost her and I had a little cry the other day about it.
    What you choose to do will be right for you.
    All the best :)

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's a decision only you can make. We lost Amber in November 2009, we never thought we would have another dog, but in February 2010 which I must admit was not very long, we heard of a Briard litter, one phone call, then a trip up north and we fell in love with a fawn 4 week old little boy, 4 weeks later the house was alive again with a wonderful puppy. He was never meant to take Amber's place and he never will, (I still cry for her now) but he has helped with the pain and has filled a small part of the large hole Amber has left in out hearts.

4. harrys_mum

harrys_mum PetForums VIP

sorry to hear this, its entirely up to you when you are ready. whether its sooner or later, it has to feel right with you.
    i lost my old girl of 18yrs of age, and just couldnt bear the house without a dog, and only lasted 3 days before i stumbled across my beautiful harry. was the best decision i could have made. still talk about my penny and shes in the garden now so always talk to her.
    we have always felt that penny helped us find harry.
    michelle x

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Amber is in our garden as well, and when go out there I talk to her as well.

6. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

You do whatever is right for you. But when choosing another dog, don't let your heart rule your head and make sure you get the right dog.

It took me 7 months after Grufty died but my friend got a dog the day after hers died. There is no right or wrong way to go here.

Take care xx

7. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I lost my beautiful great dane (Brooke) 23 months ago - she had a limp and was diagnosed by two vets to have a cruciate ligament problem. I didn't believe that but was told I was 'too close' to my pet, however my gut feeling was right and it turned out be to a spinal problem and she underwent major surgery. They said the prognosis was good, I slept on the floor beside her for six weeks, having to lift her to toilet and top and tail her each day - she was in fact paralysed. Then one day I saw a change in her eyes when she looked at me which said she had just had enough. I spent a horrible 2 days fighting with myself before asking the vet to PTS. I lay down beside her throughout, my heart was breaking but I knew it was the right thing to do. I can't tell you how devastated I was - it was holiday weekend and she was taken to the vets over the weekend and I found myself sitting outside the vets for hours on end because I couldn't bare to leave her. This may sound stupid but I couldn't rest or focus I just felt this huge void and then one day my vet called me and asked how I was and I told him I felt like s..t - he said what are you going to do? I immediately replied I am going to get myself another great dane. It surprised even me because I wasn't aware of even thinking of it.

So I guess what I am trying to say is you have to do whatever you feel is right for you and don't be swayed by anyone - life is too short - you will not be replacing Marco - no dog can do that but another can make you whole again.

Sorry for going on but I have never told anyone how I felt. Good luck with whatever you decide.

8. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I am so so sorry for your loss. RIP Marco :(

this post brought tears to my eyes.

I lost my Nelson 2 years ago this May. He was the dearest thing in my life, and my world crumbled when I made the decision to let him go. I won't go into details, but we all fought with everything we had until one day his disease became too much for the highest doses of medication, for the greatest determination, and for all the love in the whole wide world to fight... it was time to let my precious boy go with the dignity he deserved.
    My heart broke that day, and it will never fix. There is a place in my heart that only Nelson could fill, and though it has endless memories in it...it still hurts and it will always miss him.

I never ever wanted any other dog other than my Nelson, but a few days after he went to sleep forever, I realised I couldn't live without another dog. After a few months we rescued little Bella. It was extremely hard for the first 6 months and I wondered if I'd made the mistake of a lifetime... but I hadn't - it was the best thing I could have done. The hole than Nelson left behind will never be filled, but Bella has made her own place in my heart and I absolutely adore her now and wouldn't be with out her.

Really, words are so poor in times like these... but as has been said, there is no wrong or right time to get another dog. I am sure Marco won't mind though. I did have guilt in the back of my mind when i got Bella, but I very soon had it reconfirmed that no dog can ever replace Nelson...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice