Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kateaitken07, Aug 1, 2009.

1. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

can you handle newborn kittens??

My neighbours cat gave birth on Monday and she doesnt know when she can handle them

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

As soon as mum lets them I holdthem from the day they are born, monday was about a week ago, she should have already weighed them everyday and picked them up, so now! lol :)

3. kateaitken07

No she hasnt touched them yet.

She hasnt weighed them or anything, just let mummy cat do it all.

They wasnt a planned litter, she had a date to get her kitty spayed but kitty got out!!! She gave birth to 5 babies but 2 were still born :(

4. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

There is no rule to say they have to be weighed each day.

I would suggest she handles them. Only a little at a time until Mum get's used to it.

5. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Weighing them every day just gives you a heads up if there is anything going wrong, and even if you get that heads up that doesn't mean you can do anything. If they are all doing fine and noticably growing then they should be fine.

If Mum is OK with the kittens being handled, then they should be handled everyday from day 1 really. I am assuming she will want to find the kittens homes, and it will be hard if they are not very friendly and used to people picking them up and touching them. I would start whilst she is feeding them try stroking her to guage how she feels about that. A friendly pet cat should be fine with both her and her babies being touched by some one she trusts.

6. kateaitken07

Thank you, I shall let her know.

Im going over to see her in a bit and take her some food and litter etc. Shes an elderly lady (in her 50's or 60's) so I dont mind helping her out :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice