Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

when?????????????

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lizzyboo, Jun 28, 2010.

1. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

can radley be clipped. one dog groomer i spoke to said she wouldnt do it before he was 9 months old.. 9 months old i said, he's gonna look like a white bob marley by then.. dreadlocks and everything lol. also with the heat.. i dont think its very kind to him to have a thick body of fur.. specially as i shave mine off :p:p:lol::lol:

what age were your dogs?

2. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Sonny just had his first clipping at a year old. That deing said I did attack him with a paper of sicsors a few months before this. I am quite lucky as even though he is a cocker his hair does not grow that fast and is not curly. I think they say about 6 months for cockers though not sure for other dogs.

3. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

We took Willow to the groomers for the first time when she was about 6 months old just for a 'tidy up' but also to get her used to going to introduce her to everything involved with it. She now goes every 4 months and the groomer says she is no problem at all she just stands still & literally lets her do whatever she needs to do to her. We don't have her cut really short but just enough so that she is comfortable especially in this hot weather and she doesn't seem to be suffering with it.

4. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

so radders at 4 months old is prob too young then x

5. Go by what your groomer sez!
    If I remember right when my mum had poodles their coats are quite silky until a certain age, then they seem to tighten up and get courser! guess this could be the time??

6. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Blu has to get a full groom every week because his coat change is just awful. I say change.. but it still feels rather puppy like :frown:

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Our groomer said it was best to wait until Heidi had her first season and was spayed as these can effect the coat. Obviously Radley wont have these issues but I would perhaps wait until he is a tad older.

I ended up getting a Mars Coat King and doing Heidi myself when she was 11months. I do it on average at the mo every 4/6wks.

I wasnt sure whether to get her clipped or stripped but opted for stripping with the aid of my little tool :thumbup:

8. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I was advised not to touch Oscars coat until he had matured as it can affect the texture.

He is a mammouth and it was hard work, i think he was about a year when i caved and had it done and its been fine.

9. lilacbabe

lilacbabe PetForums Member

You could get your groomer to do a wee tidy up and this will remove any undercoat and will make him feel a bit cooler.Also his feet and face could probably get a wee trim.

What the groomer means that it is best not to clip untill the adult coat is properly through but IMO as a groomer dogs that do need to visit a groomer should be taken ASAP to get the used to it. They do need feet trimmed, ears neatened and cleaned and the hair round the eyes tidied.

Your dog will not get "dreadlocks" if you yourself follow a regular grooming routine in between visits to the groomer.Even though dogs go to groomers the owners should also brush their dogs at least 2/3 times a week to stop matts ,remove any undercoat and to check for ticks and any unusual lumps , cuts ,fleas etc also helps to create a bond with its owner:D

Did the groomer not say to you that she could do a quick tidy and a bath ?? :confused::if not I would go and find another groomer as most like to get dogs in as young as possible just so it is not too stressfull for them when they do go to be clipped.

10. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

fudge had his first haircut at 5 weeks!!it was only a little trim and clip out on his head,and now he goes every 6 weeks or so

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice