Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When you're really down.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BigBearsRule, Aug 13, 2009.

1. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

Im on a mega downer, suffer from depression and the black clouds have consumed me once again. Have been like this off and on for 25 years, got my first bout at 14.
    Im a lucky girl, I have 3 happy, healthy kids, a wonderful husband and 3 fab dogs. And still Im in despair, cant see the sky for the clouds. Cant face going out, hate the 4 walls.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what they do when life gets too tough?
    Sorry if this isnt the place. Just ignore me and move on.

2. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

allot of my family suffers from depression so i feel that i bare allot of the weight for my mum, when she goes through a rough patch then i have to be here to keep things together, i have to do the housework and the cooking, whenever theres a rough patch i have to be here to pick up the peices

im sorry i can only help you to a very small extent but my family find it helpful to talk - so if you want to talk, we're here - all the forumers would be so happy to talk to you.

maybe take the dogs out so you can get away and clear your head?

are you on antidepressants? they help allot so im told?

3. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Hi there, so sorry you are feeling down...dont really know of any remedy for depression- have u been to your docs?? all I can say to help is come on here and talk - there are lots of people on here who will prob have more knowledge on this and will be able to give u some advice.....we are here to support you xxxx:)

4. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

Oh yes Im on pills, maximum dose.

5. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

As above

Were all here to chat with you and try and put a smile on your face :p

6. MarisStella

MarisStella PetForums Junior

I'm so sorry you're feeling like that. I don't really have that many suggestions, but what used to help me when I felt like that, is to do something non-strenuous which I really enjoyed. For me that was a walk along the beach, to get some fresh air and feel the sand underneath my bare feet. It sounds very simple, but it did me so much good. I think even just walking and getting some fresh air helped me at that time more than I realised.

I think it's also very important to let your husband know how you feel. I don't know if he knows or not, but I do know that people with a good support network tend to do better than those who don't.

Have you also talked to your GP yet about how you're feeling?

Sorry I can't be of better use, but just know that we're here to listen, hopefully that might help a bit

xxx MarisStella xxx

7. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

do you find that the tablets help?

8. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I suffer from depression too
    This may seem a stupid answer but its not meant to be ... just dont allow yourself to wallow in it
    Its very easy to give in and allow the feelings to swamp you (the more I 'let' myself feel down , the worse I get) so I force myself to do things I like to take my mind of how I feel

Ive found physical exercise works really well as it totally knackers me out , lol

cleaning is another one , I always feel really good once ive blitzed the house

pamper yourself , or even better , your hubby
    send the kids to their Grandparents or friends , plan a nice meal and relaxing evening with him , remind yourself how good it is to be with him

Or , just chat to people who are the same as you are ... def dont bottle it up cos thats the worse thing you can do

have you spoken to your doc about how you feel ?

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I've also suffered from depression for a long time & currently going through a black cloud stage atm.

The only thing that helps me is taking my dog out for walks, dont get me wrong I always dread the thought of going but always feel so much better afterwards! Also as someone else said, I get busy with housework just to work off the negativity ... surprisingly it works!

10. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

No advice for you, but just wanted to send a big cyber hug from me and sloppy gsd kissed from Henrick, hope your feeling brighter soon.

11. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

i play music really loud when im depressed, angry music or something that refects how i feel. and i clean out animal cages as i find it distracting. having a cuddle with my rottie always helps too, he just sits there and lets me cry into his shoulders, bless him, other dogs useless and doesnt keep still.

12. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

My mom dad and i suffer with depression but only my dad takes pills, me and my mom refuse to use them, my moms doctor has said that usully only the stronger and more caring people get depression as they are more likely to be less selfish and put others first. the doctors reomend being a bit more selfish and since my mom has started doing more for herself, hobbies, starting a business and going out more she has been a lot better!!

I suffer with a more anger based depression and i find stabbing and smashing help! its why i eat so many potatoes, you can stab them with a fork and you can mash them with a masher. punch bags are good too!!

13. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Good job that you didn't read my posts on the forum last night :D I was so down and my forum friends all rallied round and put a smile back on my face.

Its extremely hard to pick yourself up only to be kicked down again, but we have to try.

Remember that there is always someone worse off than yourself and chin up ;):)

amylou8 likes this.
  14. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

I'm a very pragmatic person, so if I feel blue about something I like to do something practical to 'fix it'.

When my uncle was suffering from depression the doctor basically said that no matter how bad you feel, how much you just want to lie in bed and shut out the world- get up and get out. Literally no matter what. Force yourself. Even if it is something so trivial as a walk around the block or to the shop. Try occupying your mind with something be it a book or a suduko quiz thing or whatever. Anything to break your focus on feeling bad.

Best piece of advice I have ever heard when things are bad is "It will pass" and I really believe that, even of the most horrible of times. Keep believing in that, set about actively doing something to remedy how you feel and hopefully you will start to feel a bit better in time. I firmly believe that true depression is a physical illness with pscyhological symptoms so make sure you eat well and do all the good things your meant to, to keep your physical health in check as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice