Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When your Stress begins to affect your Cat!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Tom681, May 26, 2018.

1. Tom681

Tom681 Banned

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes it has been known for a long while by experts that cats pick up stress from their owners, if the owner is anxious, distressed or unwell.

It's also the case that living with cats can reduce levels of chronic anxiety in humans. A healthy, well adjusted cat is a calm, affectionate, contented creature, whom a human finds it soothing to stroke. But also in the close bond between cat and human owner there exists a system of supportive feedback e.g if I am upset or anxious my cat senses it, gets anxious himself and tries to comfort me. In turn I comfort my cat for me having made him anxious, and in so doing my anxiety levels reduce. etc etc :)

3. Tom681

Tom681 Banned

That's the beauty of having a Cat.

They are such amazing creatures. I feel like I learn something new everyday :)

Who needs friends when you have your Cat Lol

Pinto and TriTri like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You are right - cats are amazing creatures! :)

Betty6691 likes this.
  5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Of course it works the other way too. If my cat is anxious, stressed or ill that makes me stressed too. I have to work hard at keeping it under control so as not to stress him further.

Cats can sometimes self soothe by purring when stressed or in pain. I wish we could too.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice