Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

when would you stop having a dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haeveymolly, Mar 23, 2011.

1. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

considering your own age and the life span of a dog. This is something ive been thinking of recently. I think after molly who is only 2 she will be my last.

2. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

When I physically couldn't look after one anymore or afford it.

I have a client who recently lost his lab and he is 82 and he isn't in the best of health and he is heart broken that he will never have another dog now :( as much as he would love one he just physically couldn't cope. He has had a dog since he was born.

So he comes out on little walks with me and bella now and I take her round once a week for a fuss.

babycham2002 likes this.
  3. lou3

lou3 PetForums Junior

Depends on family history and current state of health really. My family live LONG lives, my grandad is well into his late 90's now and my gran not far behind him. I think as long as I was fit and able to walk for half an hour a day I would still be happy to get a dog - although obviously if I couldnt walk for much longer than that I would go for a quiet breed like a greyhound that doesnt require vast amounts of exercise.
    When I am no longer young and spry enough to walk for several hours a day I will reconsider my choice of breeds and avoid the high energy dogs like BCs, springers, GSDs etc but if my health is generally good and there is no reason why I would suddenly drop dead barring accident or unforseeable serious illness in the next ten years I would not let simply being a bit old put me off having a dog.

4. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

I would think it would be when my health would not allow me to look after a dog properly or if I thought the dog would out live me.

Val x

5. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Im only in my teens at the momet :eek:

Soo..im hoping not for a while.

When i phisicaly cannot afford or cope with a dog-thats when i will stop.

If I am not likely to drop dead any time in the next 15 ish years then i would still consider getting a dog. Though breed may change. Aslong as i could afford it and was able to exercise it without a problem. Then i dont see a major issue. :)

6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I don't think anyone can predict whether they will outlive their dog

But I wouldn't have another dog if/when it was difficult for me to take care of myself and stick to a sensible daily routine for me and the dog.

Having said that a sensible choice of dog when you're getting older could be the answer. If you get a dog that doesn't need walking and just needs the garden to play in, and you have discussed with the family whether they can have the dog if he/she outlives you, then you could have 10+ fantastic years with a dog rather than 10+ years of sadness wishing you had one!

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

When I couldn't physically or financially cope with one anymore. Then I might have to borrow a neighbour's dog to take out for walks

8. haeveymolly

Molly is now 2 and if things take the correct course we will be left with just molly if she lives lets say another 10yrs hopefully then i will be 59 to take another springer would mean the chances are at 70 i would i want to be walking miles a day through fields and all the places a springer needs to experience every day, but i really couldnt see myself owning anything else and tbh our lives and things we want to do, do have to take a back seat the dogs must come first, so i think she will be our last one, it would be very strange not to have a dog but hopefully in 10 yrs plus who knows i might be ready to be dogless.:rolleyes:

9. rona

rona Guest

I've thought about this quite a bit recently and think that I will offer a home to some of those older rescue dogs that would have trouble being adopted.
    I'm lucky to have several people who would take on the dog if anything happened to me

10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

For as long as I physically and mentally can - if the time should come that either of those happen and I have a dog, i've got four grown children who have assured me that one of them will take it on. :)

There are restrictions though, i've been told that after this lot I can't get another Malamute :D too much hard work but I can get an Irish Woolfhound, they'd be willing to look after him. ;)

Good point Rona, think it will be a rescue too.

11. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I would start fostering/adopting the middle aged to oldies from the age of 60 onwards I think

am only 26 though so I have a while yet

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im in my mid thirties and figure that when my lot pass (of old age, of course!) then I can go the puppy route once more.. After that I will be retired and can start offering homes to OAP rescue dogs who want a quiet comfy life.:)

13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Flipping heck woman, you're a mere youngster...LOL
    I'm quite a bit older than you and have a two yr old feisty BC and will probably have another one in a couple of years. I still compete at top level obedience shows and am considering having another shot at HTM although the routine would have to be such that I stayed on my feet - it would be too embarrassing if the judges had to lift me off the floor!!
    I have several handlers that train here in their 70s and 80s and there was a lady on the Sheltie day on Sunday who's got to be nearly 90.
    Dogs keep you young and active......

14. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

By the time I lose my two to old age I will be about 57, I am going to adopt older dogs aged 7+ once I'm in my senior years.

I cannot imagine not having a dog. They give me a reason to get up in the morning.

15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

This is something I have thought long and hard about. Not made any cast iron decisions yet other than I will need a dog in my life as long as there is life in the old dog:D

Heidi is 2, and I will be 65+ if she lives a good life. It wont be living for me without a dog so my thoughts are to get something less active and make sure I am right in thinking one of my sons would take care of it if it outlived me. Rescue something older. Foster.:D

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would stop owning a dog when I felt I wasn't capable of giving a dog what it needs.

But hopefully by then my children and hopefully grandchildren will have dogs so I will still be able to spend time around them.

Tbh I can't picture my life without dogs!

17. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

I am probably fitter than a lot of people half my age, I have absolutley no intention of slowing down either... The dogs are what keep me fit and healthy.. and I intend to keep it that way!!

My mum is 86 and gets all the doggie love she needs from the family dogs.... that is 8 between us,that is what I hope for.. Mum loves all the dogs but she says my Dallie loves her the best.:001_smile:

#17 northnsouth, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  18. haeveymolly

Oh no ime not thinking in anyway that ime too old:D:eek: i was just thinking about the future and thinking of maybe having dogs that live i.e 12 years i realy think ile be ready for been able to do what i like when i like.:D

19. greatdanes

greatdanes PetForums Member

For me it will be when i cant walk any longer, which i hope is for many years to come yet

20. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I can say ifthings go normal..after Scrip will have time for two more..but maybe later on taking adult,older dogs will be fine..and I hope my kids will be able to help..in case....if cannot walk ..will have cats...:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice