Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When will she sleep a full night??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by NathanbUK, Aug 15, 2009.

1. NathanbUK

NathanbUK PetForums Junior

So my puppies been with us now for almost 2weeks (tomorrow) shes roughly 10 and a half weeks. Shes a chihuahua. We put her in a crate at the side of my bed some night and then my parents the next (im 16). I know that its normal that she'll only sleep a few hours the first few nights and tell us when she wants to go the toilet which she does. The first week she was sleeping about 5-6 hours went for a wee and then went back to sleep, and then towards the start of the second week she slept in for 2 days thought we'd cracked it. Now though it seems to be worse thanever the last couple of nights. Shes up within about 4 hours and then up every 2 hours after that, the only way she'll say alseep is if she's in my bed! Will this stop soon, is there something I can do to stop this, am I doing anything wrong. How often should she be napping becuase she has been so far about and hour an half after breakfast, then another couple after dinner and then another couple after tea is this too much or is normal. Thanks.

2. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

only a suggestion hun, but try putting a cover over the crate.. It worked for our Haggis dog!

3. NathanbUK

oh. Never thought of that :D. have to see how she reacts to that. Thanks.

4. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

In my (limited) experience I'd say tough love it required. Of course your dog will prefer to sleep in your bed - why wouldn't she? So, she will play up until you give in and let her sleep somewhere more comfortable.

Chance was crate trained but we left it downstairs and got up through the night to let her toilet.

At first it was every 3 hours, then four and five until eventually she would go through the night. This took a couple of months of broken sleep but we did crack it.

Good luck and although we never needed to do it, I've heard the sheet over the crate is very good.

5. louisehall21

louisehall21 PetForums Junior

this is normal for a pup you have to remember that they cant hold it for long and this can go on for months i am sorry to say and all pups sleep a lot my 8 week old foster sleeps nearly all night but do have to get up and let him out twice in the night wich is good for a pup his age and then he will eat play sleep toilet sleep play toilet eat sleep you can see the pattern do not worry just keep going your pup does not do it to keep you up on purpose its a baby and you would not expect a 10 week old baby to sleep through.

i am sure you would sooner he woke you every hour to go instead of doing it all over the place :D

6. NathanbUK

Thanks for all this info! Jus one extra question my mum seems to think making her not fall asleep before she goes up when you can see shes absoloutley shattered is a good idea. (Sometimes this can be up to two hours until we want to close the crate with her in it). Is it or will it make no difference if she has a nap before shes meant to sleep for the night if that makes sense :s thanks again!!

7. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Don't know nothing about Dogs but want to say I hope she sleeps through soon. I have 1 cat sleeps upstairs, she's always awake every 2 hrs,drives me nuts! LOL

8. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Blu is 9 weeks old and has slept for atleast 6 and a half hours since the day I got him. I put a cover over his crate aswell so I'm not sure if he either loves sleep or the cover helps because one of his brothers sleeps all night aswell!

9. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

I';m sure someone will quote me on this, but I'm sure that dog (especially puppies) need a lot of sleep. I think you are best just allowinig her to snooze when she wants to, and go to bed when you tell her too.

Chance is regularly asleep by about 7pm (after her tea and evening walk). She will wake up for a stretch and to check what is on the tele, before drafting back to her bed for the night.

10. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

we have had freya for a few weeks now she goes to bed around 11pm after last wee and gets up at 7am when i do and goes out with other dogs for wee etc .I agree cover over the crate they are like us if its dark they will sleep that bit longer;)

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never got up in the night to a puppy. They have to learn that nightime is for sleeping, not for crying and getting you out of bed. Personally I would rather they messed in the night rather than me getting up. They soon manage to last the night but once you start getting up and taking them out they will reckon they are on to a good thing.
    I would put the crate downstairs and ignore any crying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice