Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When will my dog stop roaming?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Anni91, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Anni91

Anni91 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I have a female dog , about 1 year old , she arrived to my house on January when she was about 4 months she was rescue and sterilized , she was very shy but already about March gain its weight and was playful and in that month arrived to my neighbors (that is my grandma) little puppy about 2 months very playful and they became very good friends

We live in the country side and about may and June I think they started to roam around the lands, some told me they have been seen close the road and late July the were chasing lambs of another neighbor so I got really worry they learnt that bad habit so I bought my dog a gps that alarm me every time she goes very far and it has been very helpful because I can find her easily and call her back when she is outside the property she always come back to me and I pet her every time and say good girl and some treat if I have one.

I also tried boundarie training but it is so hard when to walk around the property takes about one hour , and fence is not an option in so big place

So my question is when is she going to stop going roam around I am a little tired calling her back almost every day , is she understanding that cant go far? Or maybe she is getting use to it?

I blame her friend the little male puppy , that is like 10 months now , he is not sterilized and he is very playful , so I think he takes her far away because I have another older dog that is almost all the time close to the house when the other 2 are far away playing

Any advice please, and sorry for the long post I wanted to leave all the details also sorry for my English , it is not my first language.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

The only way to stop your dog roaming is to go outside with her, and when you can't be outside with her, make sure she is safely contained.
    The male who is not neutered will continue to roam and she will go with him.

Calvine, Sarah H, Rafa and 3 others like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You absolutely cannot allow her to roam, especially in view of the fact that she's been chasing sheep.

Keep her at home, walk her twice a day and don't allow her outside unsupervised.

Torin., Calvine, LinznMilly and 5 others like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

5. Anni91

Anni91 PetForums Newbie

thank you for your reply , I will try to go out more often for walks , i hope eventually she settle down. And I will have to tell my grandma to neutered her dog , that will also help.

6. Anni91

Anni91 PetForums Newbie

thank you for the reply , Yes since that time with the sheep I bought the gps and I am very aware if she goes too far (i set the limits and my cellphone notifys me inmediatly) , I will continue with the boundarie training when i do the daily walks.

7. Anni91

Anni91 PetForums Newbie

Yes i wish i have the money to build the fences , is the countryside and there are only those with big gaps :( , I think maybe in the future I can afford a small fence around the house. Thank you anyway for your reply

kimthecat likes this.
  8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I had a Tibetan Spaniel who was an "escape artist" and would run off at every opportunity. Even though my property was fenced off, she would burrow under the fence like a rabbit. I got so fed up of chasing her all over the countryside I attached her to a 30 metre line which was secured to a pillar of my porch which solved the problem of her running off. She soon got used it and for me it was a relief not to be constantly searching the countryside for her.

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Just don’t let out on her own, problem solved. Take her out more often for toilet breaks.

Though it wouldn’t cost much to erect a wire fence in an area outside the door.

If there are livestock in the vicinity (and she has chased sheep before) the risk is too great imo. Farmers have the right to shoot a dog worrying their animals.

It’s also your legal obligation to be fully in control of your dog.

Not to mention the chance she could get stolen, caught up or injured. I doubt any rescue would be happy with this arrangement either tbh.

LinznMilly, Rafa, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

The problem is a GPS will not stop your dog attacking sheep. It will only track your dog. You need to make efforts to control your dog and stop it wandering. I presume you don’t live in the U.K., but farmers that catch dogs worrying their livestock in this country are entitled to destroy the dog - and they will. It is a serious issue. Even if the dog does not catch the sheep, chasing pregnant ewes can cause them to abort any lamb they are carrying.

LinznMilly, LittleMow, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

That would be good if you could fence off an area. make sure its high enough. Many dogs like to roam regardless of whether they have been spayed or not.

12. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

She has learnt to roam, this won’t therefore stop. By allowing her to continue you are putting livestock at risk. Management is the best way to stop her e.g. fences or someone walking her.

Torin., LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. Anni91

Anni91 PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for your replies , I will consider all your advices . Maybe in the future she will stop roaming but even then i will not leave her alone outside without supervision.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice