Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When walking your dog

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by Kicksforkills, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Kicksforkills

Kicksforkills PetForums VIP

My mother made a comment that Dexter doesn't do that thing anymore where dogs really put their front legs out when walking. Looks like trotting. I thought it was just a puppy thing and not how they should walk. Does anyone know what I'm on about and would you try to get it back or is it just a puppy thing that hey shouldn't do as adults?

Thanks!

2. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I really have no idea but would guess that they would trot as a babe to keep up with you but not need to as they got bigger and could walk more normally at your pace. Does he go back to the more extended movement of a trot if you speed up?

3. Kicksforkills

Not sure if trot was the right word :D

That's another thing she said, I need to find a pace and stick to it. Think I'll do some at home/park practice with him tomorrow. I think I need to walk quite quickly to keep his head up but obviously not so quickly as to have him straying behind.

The first AV class at Richmond Dexter apparently walked fine but I knew when I was walking that I probably walked like a duck.

So I need to practice walking myself :)

At least I have time to practice now.

Starting two separate GC obiedence classes with him. One starts tomorrow (Puppy Plus) and one starts next Tuesday (Bronze). Long story! So maybe that'll help.

4. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I have real difficulty with he correct pace this, and several other things like total panic, are the areas I was not getting much help with at ringcraft. Saying that, we went last night for the first time all summer cos we didn't have any guests to feed and he was placed 2nd in the first round and 1st in the second. Both judges said we have improved immensely since last time we went and commented on how much more mature Mylo is now. The second judge did talk to me about pace though and said she thinks slightly quicker was better whereas the woman I went to a couple of weeks ago said fast walking pace.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Try moving him at different speeds, Rhuna looks a lot better trotting round at speed, as that's when she really shows off her movement, and throws the paws out enthusiastically. It's a difficult balance though as when you start speeding her up, she's likely to either start cantering, and/or throwing disco moves across the floor whilst trying to grab the lead out of my hand. Fortunately, this has calmed down a little as she's matured, but she just occasionally likes to remind me she's capable of a few John Travoltaesque type moves.

6. Kicksforkills

Disco moves! :hand:

Lol!

Thanks, I'll try a bit quicker. Yes, that's what I meant to say. Throwing paws out enthusiastically! You said it much better than me :)

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think in horse dressage terms it's called a passage from memory, which is an elevated trot, they almost look like they're floating across the ground. You want a similar thing for dogs, to move them at a speed that really shows them off, the passage is simply stunning to watch and is something only a fit, sound animal is capable of doing well. So transfer that to dogs, and you're trying to achieve a trot that shows the same movement and soundness off :)

8. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Not sure what you mean exactly, but I notice a lot of dogs have poor movement not from poor construction, but from bad habits.

When I walk my showdogs, I don't let them pace and try to keep them walking either really Slowley or trotting when on leash, as a lot of dogs will copy their owners or even other dogs they were with and this affects their gait. Especially late dogs, you will find they don't reach out very much when they copy small dog, especially when their owners take little steps and shuffle! I take big steps.

Offlead I let them do what they want!

Maybe you could ask some people in your breed to tell you what is the best pace, then practise going that speed a lot more.

9. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Do you mean the flicky toed, stretched out extended trot?

Like this:

[youtube_browser]LVvlr7k87yQ[/youtube_browser]

The passage is the opposite of the extended trot, it's extreme collection (shortening the stride) rather than extension. This is the best short video I could find of it;

[youtube_browser]1vQmsVajaX8[/youtube_browser]

I've had exactly the opposite problem with Wybie, he was so ridiculously extended and flicky that he was more bouncing along rather than trotting :laugh:

10. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Your breed should have it's own gait? and in showing that something they look for in Rottweilers they are a trotting breed so they should hold their top line straight but have good reach (with their front legs) drive with their rear. So it's the fine line of getting them to trot and not run :) Hence I don't show because you if you get a foreign judge in Rottweilers they run the legs off you :D

There isn't really much about Pap gait is there on how they should move except it should be "light and flowing" lol

11. Kicksforkills

Thanks all, he is a good mover just my mum commented on the fact he doesn't do the enthusiastic front leg thing anymore. Wasn't sure if they were meant to or not. Watched some YouTube videos and they weren't doing it. Will ask breeder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice