Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When to upsize?

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by ClaireAndAaron, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ClaireAndAaron

ClaireAndAaron PetForums Newbie

We bought NomNom the corn snake 2 months ago, and the pet shop owners said we would need to keep him in the small tank for 6 months because any bigger and there would be a chance of him escaping. However he's growing at an extorsionate rate and now he is nearly three foot in a 1 and a half foot long tank. Is it time to upsize?

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i would, Just make sure its a very good unescapable viv lol

3. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I prefered the 2 by 6 tank I had. When I bought the one with the sliding doors my red-sided always made a dash for it :)

4. farnell182

farnell182 PetForums Newbie

technically, that size viv/tank is ok for a 3 foot snake. All snakes grow at different rates, so in fairness to the pet shop they might not of expected him to grow that fast. Upgrading to a bigger viv wont do any harm just make sure its escape proof. If its not really a display pet, then a rub (really useful box) would be good as they are inexpensive and escape proof. If you already have a heat mat and stat thats a bonus

5. amaci

amaci PetForums Newbie

Adult Cornsnakes will be happy in a 3ft or 4ft Viv or possibly a 33ltr Rub and bigger.

A heat matt (Used with a Stat) is a must have covering at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the Viv or under the Rub to give it the correct heat grading needed which should be between 27/30 degs C in the hot end. I would also suggest using a digital themometer to keep an eye on the temps also as the dial/strips will not measure the temps accurately above the matt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice