Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

when to stop covering puppy crate

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by karen09, Jun 23, 2009.

1. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

hi my puppy is 13 weeks today and i was wondering when to stop covering his crate on a night time when i go to bed?

thanks muchly

karen

2. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

I never covered mine:)

3. rona

rona Guest

Whenever you feel it's the right time, try it and see what happens ;)

4. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

ok thanks i did it from the beginning as that what the breeder suggested as thats what she did when it was bed time.

does anyone else have any thoughts?

5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

busters crate is always covered :eek: is the "done" thing to not cover them?

6. gilly145

gilly145 PetForums Member

Our Charlie is 11 months now and we still cover his crate at night - he only goes in his crate at night.

I keep thinking that maybe we should leave him out in the kitchen at night like we do in the day, but I do think he is cosy and safe in there and it works well for us.

7. angie-j

angie-j PetForums Newbie

I never stop covering my crates.... It's there den and they feel safe and secure in there "cave". Keeps the drafts out as well.

Angie

8. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

i covered my pups crate until 20 weeks. I covered it because he was crated and his mum wasnt so wanted to remove some stimulation of him constantly watching her.

Having uncovered it, it makes no difference!!! He likes his crate and routine established :)

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never covered mine but she has a plastic covered cage inside the bigger cage so she is enclosed anyway when she is asleep

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave is 5 months and I still have to cover his crate in the day or he won't settle.
    I also cover Dixie if it's a little too warm, or I know next door will be home before us, so she can't see to bark at them.

x

11. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I always keep mine covered too, just leaving the door side free. The den effect makes them feel safe and secure, remember that snug feeling you used to get from making a tent with blankets and dining chairs?!

12. Pamela

Pamela Guest

Holly is 18 months old today, we have had her from 10 weeks old, we have never covered her crate.

13. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

Why uncover the crate ?

14. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

just wondered its not covered during the day even when he is in it while i am at work

15. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

I've never covered a crate so I guess it is just a personal thing. I did once stack a blanket on top of Chances crate and when I came home she had managed to drag it part way through the bars shred it !!!

16. Poppy09

Poppy09 PetForums Senior

We have never covered Poppy's but then she is in a cozy corner of the kitchen...If its working out for you covering it then why change?

17. sammyben

sammyben Guest

We never covered Sammy's crate although the breeder did suggest to if he wasn't settling at night, but he's been fine so didnt see the need to. Suppose it just depends on when you feel is the right time for your own dog x

18. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

The only time i have ever coverd my dogs crate was in the car when we went to north wales last year.That was to calm Kai and Mia down.I might add it worked a treat they were as good as gold for the 6 hour journey.:D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice