Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When to start?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by maizie0_0, May 21, 2010.

1. maizie0_0

maizie0_0 PetForums Member

I am getting an 8 week old show springer spaniel. She won't be shown, she will be a family pet.

At what age do I need to start taking her to groomers, I have got a comb, matt breaker and soft pin brush do I can do that daily. I know I have to check in between her toes and by her pads and trim.

Because I am not showing her would clipping suffice or would you recommend handstripping? Is it right that handstripping will take hours to do?

2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Hi :)

we have dogs come in from the age of about 10-12 weeks just for a brush and a bit of a trim. It is up to you really, as soon as possible is best even if the pup only gets brushed, it's better to start them early so that they are used to it quickly and dont become frightened in the future, it's not nice having to groom a snappy or nervous dog!

3. dawnie24

dawnie24 PetForums Junior

Hi ive been dog grooming for 7 years and to get your dog properly cut and washed etc he or she should be atleast 6 months old.

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

gosh if some of ours didnt come in until 6 months they'd be a real mess! :eek6:

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

my cocker is a pet and i clip him short all year round. show springers usually have excessive fur so you do have to either clip or hand strip. Clipping is cheaper and easier. I prefer a clipped look but I know its not everyone's preference. I'd see how you go with handstripping first, but if you can't do it and you can't find a groomer to do it for you, then consider clipping.

6. dawnie24

dawnie24 PetForums Junior

what i meant was at 6months they will have a full cut and wash you can do a light trim before that but not always a bath as they can catch a cold thats why salons usually do it at 6 months.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice