Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

when to start the weaning process with a large litter..

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lucy1012, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

what age is the right age to start the weaning process?

I do not feel thet Maisie is producing enough milk for the puppies to thrive, we have been supplement feeding the puppies, but felt should we intervene too much it would have an effect on her milk supply so have only bottle fed when we felt it was needed.

The puppies are 2 weeks 4 days and although they sleep and do not cry, I cannot say they look like they have very round tummies.

I was going to go down the route of puppy food mush with lactol starting at 3 weeks. Is this too young??

If I started to put trays of puppy milk down would they be able to lap it at this age, or should we continue to bottle feed?

2. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

I have started weaning at 3 weeks and by 4 weeks pups have been on 3 meals aday. Start with small amounts and watch if they lap it up. Once a good feeding routine is established you wont need to top up as long as they still get some from mum

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Its not too young IMO. I started weaning at 2 and 1/2 weeks.

4. Lucy1012

Thanks for the replies, both of you..

I am sure I am more worried about these pupipse eating habits than i am of my own kids lol.

I will try them today, on the puppy food mush and see how it goes. Also can you offer advice on how much and how often please... thanks again. It is good to get advice and reassurance.

5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

How many pups, and what breed? I usually mush puppy food with puppy milk, and put a plateful down. Then I hold each pup in turn near the mush so they can smell it (some of them don't need that, they're straight in lol) and they just start licking. They make an awful mess at first, but they get better with practice! :)

6. Lucy1012

Hi, 10 pups and Rhodesian Ridgebacks, I didn't even need to hold them there they lapped it up and walked through it getting utterly disgusting all on their own accord. lol

I soaked the puppy food in boiling water, added 4 scoops of puppy milk and blitzed it with my hand blender until it was like baby food. Seemed to go down a treat.

So it is just once a day for how long??

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I start at 2 weeks 3 days ish with one meal a day.
    2 weeks 4 days, 2 meals providing they were interested to a degree in the first meal. Puppies won't do anything with the food if they're not ready.
    2weeks 5 days, 3 meals
    3 weeks, 4 meals
    3 week 1 day, 5 meals
    3 weeks 3 days, 6 meals- some don't do 6 meals, but I do.

Obviously mum have free access to the all the time so they can get to the milk bar when she allows.
    Watch out for constipation, make the "porridge" very milky to start with, until they are about 4 weeks, then you can decrease milky bit. About 7 weeks I change milk to water and instruct owners to keep soaking food to 11 weeks, then gradually decrease water to normal dry kibble and whatever they choose to add eg mince etc, to about 12 1/2 weeks.

8. Lucy1012

Thanks Tanya, glad to hear you are out of hospital all be it drugged up ;-) see for yourself how they got on lol

Hopefully the pictures will load.

Attached Files:

9. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Fabulous pictures,a lovely gooey puppy mush!! lol
    You are doing a great job,lovely pups x

10. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

OMG!!!! I have got this to lok forward to this week!!!!!!:scared:

11. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Looks like they had a great time. :thumbup: They do get the hang of it.... eventually lol ;)

12. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Fab. :thumbup:

13. canisred

canisred PetForums Newbie

love the pic :thumbup:

14. Lucy1012

Ok, so where was the word of warning from all you pros that it comes out as it when in lol Is this normal??

15. CalypsoNight

CalypsoNight PetForums Newbie

This forum has helped me tremendously. We just brought home our puppy three weeks early from the breeder, The mother was no longer able to feed the puppies due to a large gash on her stomach followed quickly by an infection. Thanks to you guys I am confident in taking on this responsibility. Thank you all.:D

16. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Awwww - they look like they are having a ball - I started weaning my last litter at 2 weeks after I found one of them trying to get into mum's bowl - it's a good job I did (her mother's litters were coming up for 3.5 / 4 weeks) as she stopped feeding at 4 weeks and most definitely didn't do teeth

She did used to take them food in though which was very sweet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice