Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When to spay a Yorkie?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kayz, Jul 15, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

My friend has just got a Yorkshire Terrier bitch and would like to know the best time to get her spayed. She took her to the vet this morning for a check up and to organise her next jabs. She asked when would be the best time to get her spayed.

The vet said that some people think that it is best to do it before her first season, he suggested between 6-9 months. He also told her that some people think it is better to wait until after she has had a season. She asked what he would do but he said he couldn't tell her that as he isn't meant to give his opinion.

Another friend told her that she should let her have a litter or the bitch will suffer health problems:confused:. I've said that as far as I know there are no health problems in bitches if they never have a litter.

So when would you say is the best time to get her spayed?

Thanks

2. Between the first and second would be my opinion. And I believe many owners feel the same.

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Yes between the first and second season would be my suggestion!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I agree with DT.

It should also be done when the dog is physically mature. Im not sure what age that is for a yorkie.

There are no health implications for NOT having a litter, but plenty if she were too.

5. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Thank you. I'll pass it on.

6. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

let her have 2 seasons, and then she should be mature enough to be spayed. to have the operation she needs to be done approx 12 weeks after the last season she as:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice