Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When to neuter?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by April Pearl, Jul 22, 2020.

1. April Pearl

April Pearl PetForums Senior

I have heard that it's healthier not to neuter a male dog or if you do to wait until they are fully grown or at least until they are 1 and a half years old.

Jasper is 9 months old now (he is a pomeranian l, don't know if that makes a difference to anything) so I would ideally wait. But he has a retained testicle and apparently that should be removed but I don't know if that should be done right away or if it's ok to wait a bit.

#1 April Pearl, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I think, considering his size, you'd be OK to wait till his a year old. Vets are keen to remove retained testicles but 3 more months won't make a difference.

Linda Weasel and April Pearl like this.
  3. April Pearl

Thank you @Sarah H I also would prefer to wait until he is a bit bigger to have the operation.

4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Sorry but tentacle did make me giggle

@Boxer123 one of her boys had a retained testicle and I’m sure she waited :) she might be able to tell you more

April Pearl likes this.
  5. April Pearl

Lol sorry I typed on my phone and I guess I messed up and my predictive text filled in tentacle instead of testicle. I'll change it now!

Good to hear that others have waited as that's what I'd like to do assuming it's not risky :)

Teddy-dog likes this.
  6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yes Loki had a retained tentacle. It can pose a cancer risk however the vet was happy to wait until he was 18 months before operating so he was a bit more grown up. They have to open them up so it’s a bit more than a normal castration but is a common operation.

Unfortunately because Loki is a massive tit and I couldn’t keep him still he burst his stitches but this is uncommon and I should think Jasper is more sensible than Loki.

7. April Pearl

Thank you for sharing what you did with Loki. Makes me feel better about waiting in Jasper's case.

Poor Loki with the stitches! I hope he's ok now.

Boxer123 likes this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

He’s absolutely fine now it was a bit of a shock there is a thread somewhere I was so upset he had to have a second emergency operation but again this is very rare. It has to be done really the risk of cancer is worse than the risk of the operation. Really common the vet didn’t bat an eye lid.

Is Jasper crate trained ? Loki isn’t and that didn’t help with keeping him still.

April Pearl likes this.
  9. April Pearl

That's good that he is fine now :) I hope Jasper won't have that problem because he can be quite energetic.

Yeah I definitely think he needs to get the op done, wouldn't risk cancer with him. Just thought it may be good to wait until he is a bit older first since by the sounds of it it's generally better not to neuter too young.

Jasper is crate trained to an extent lol. He sleeps in his crate overnight and takes 2 naps in it during the day (he still seems to need naps!) but we don't leave him in there except if he is sleeping.

10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

There can be no bigger Wally than Loki. I slept downstairs with him so no stairs. 10 day recovery time then back to being a baby boxer.

April Pearl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice